No audio device

Closed
Jim - Feb 22, 2010 at 09:12 PM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Feb 22, 2010 at 10:52 PM
Hello,

I have an HP pavilion 9700 with vista 32 bit operating system. My audio in the bottom right corner is saying no audio device is installed. any help as to how to get audio back on my PC?
Related:

2 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Feb 22, 2010 at 09:48 PM
Instructions

Delete and Reinstall the Original Sound Drivers

7. Step 1 Deleting and reinstalling your sound driver may resolve the problem. Your sound driver may have been corrupted or may be missing. The result of this is that the restore utility menu won't be available. For Windows XP, follow these steps.

8. Step 2 Click on your "Start" button. Click on "Control Panel" and then "System." Next, click on "Hardware," then "Device Manager, then "Sound, Video and Game Controllers."

9. Step 3 Click on a sound device named in the Device Manager, and then press the Delete key on the keyboard. Click "OK" in the window that appears. Remove all the listed sound devices i this way EXCEPT Audio Codec and Legacy Audio Drivers.

10. Step 4 Restart your computer. Reinstall the deleted drivers using the Driver and Application Recovery CDs that came with your Windows XP system.

11. Step 5 Visit your computer manufacturer's official website. Check for any updated sound driver software for your sound card. If any, download them along with the installation instructions.
my operating ystem is vista and my device manager doesnt have "Sound, Video and Game Controllers". it used to be there prior to this problem. any ideas?
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Feb 22, 2010 at 10:52 PM
Strange - I suggest you do a "search for new hardware" to see if Windows can find the audio hardware.