D Drive troubles

Solved/Closed
Miguel - Feb 26, 2010 at 11:23 PM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Feb 27, 2010 at 12:45 PM
Hello,
Currently, everything I download keeps going to my C drive (which, on a 8 year old computer, doesn't have much room), so I tried making things automatically go to the D drive. Problem is: I can't seem to find a way to make any downloads/programs automatically go to the D drive, or even find a way to switch them over. I am on a Microsoft Windows Xp, Home Edition, Version 2002, Service Pack 2. Any help is welcomed!
Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Feb 27, 2010 at 12:45 PM
NOTE: Making changes to the registry can cause serious harm to your computer if done incorrectly. Always backup your registry before making any changes.

Start regedit - type regedit in the start box

1.In the left hand pane navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer
2.Right click on the white region of Regedit's right hand pane, click New, and then click String Value
3.Enter Download Directory for the name of the new DWORD Value and press Enter. The new value should now appear in Regedit's right-hand column.
4.Right click the new value and choose Modify.
5.Click Modify and set the Value Data field to be the path to the directory you want IE to send downloads, then click OK.

Read more at Suite101: IE Default Download Location: How to use the registry to change IE's default download location http://pcs.suite101.com/article.cfm/ie_default_download_location#ixzz0glOcCmDG