My PC is completely overun with a virus HELP!

Closed
pete86s - Oct 2, 2008 at 03:47 PM
 pete86s - Oct 3, 2008 at 02:38 PM
Hello,

I have made the mistake of downloading something, and ignoring the security alert from my anti virus SW, now my computer is infected in a bad way. It started off, after the download, things ran really slow and eventually the computer crashed. When i restarted, i logged back in ok. However, the clock in the task bar was shifted to the left and in its place (in the same font) was the message VIRUS ALERT! 3-4 odd icons also appeared on my desktop such as 'Malware removal' and 'Virus protection' etc. I also notice that my F-Secure internet software was hidden/removed, and when i opened My Computer, both hard drive icons were missing. My Documents was still there and i could still get into it.

Anyway, after a while the computer crashed again. Now ever since i have not been able to boot up successfully and log into windows. It either gets to the user login screen without being able to go any further, or it stops just before that with a black screen and the mouse curser.

Can anyone advise on what i can try and do to overcome this nasty virus please???

Thanks in advance!
Related:

5 responses

Sorry i forgot to mention... i've try booting up in safe mode, with the intention of doing a system restore, but it doesn't work. I get a black screen with lots of with text/number for a while, then a black screen! :(

Cheers
hey pete.....

the only way to get out of a virus like this is to do a system recovery...so if u have the recovery discs lyin around somewhere, grab em and do a recovery. you might have to go into the bios to set up the bootin order from normal to cd/dvd....so do that first and then just put in the cd's and let the recovery finish...u will lose everythin u added on to ur computer though....
...sorry correction, after the screen of text, the computer just reboots it's self - if thats makes a difference?!?!
techgirl Posts 2 Registration date Wednesday October 1, 2008 Status Member Last seen October 2, 2008
Oct 2, 2008 at 05:12 PM
I, too, had this problem today. I just did a system restore, like the Jojo said, but I didn't do a factory reset.

I don't know if I have to do one, but I don't think I should, so keep that in mind for you. You might just have to do the basic recovery.
after speaking with the IT guy at work this morning, he is going to give my this super anti spyware software on CD and see how i get on with that... thats if i get into windows!

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
GRGHHHH!! what can i do if i cant open windows properly?? in about 1 in 3 boot ups it will get to the user login screen, but then freeze as soon as i click on a user (either admin or guest). Last night i did manage to log in as a guest though, but it wasn't log before that froze too :(

Someone please help me!!!