Problem running .exe files inVista

Closed
bradtheimpaler Posts 3 Registration date Monday March 1, 2010 Status Member Last seen March 2, 2010 - Mar 1, 2010 at 09:35 PM
 Claude211 - Apr 26, 2010 at 06:02 AM
Hello, I am having problems running .exe files in Vista, whenever I try to open one it either says the application can not be found or it opens a dialog box asking me to locate the program I would like to use to run the .exe file. Any advice is appreciated.
Related:

3 responses

My laptop does the same thing. I had the Antivirus Vista 2010 malware thing on it and when I finally deleted it, all my things say "Please select what program you want to you to open this" when I try to get into it. Also, when I try to play music it says something about my soundcard not working. I want to know if it can be fixed or maybe if I get a disc to reistall Windows Vista will that fix the problem.
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,827
Mar 1, 2010 at 11:19 PM
This sound like a virus - I would run a virus scan immediately.
bradtheimpaler Posts 3 Registration date Monday March 1, 2010 Status Member Last seen March 2, 2010
Mar 2, 2010 at 11:58 AM
I've done the scan, removed all threats, only a couple though. Problem persists. Also, I forgot to mention that if I right click and click run as administrator, it will generally run.
Had this problem with one user account - admin and one other user account not affected.
What worked for me in the end - safe boot and log in to problem account and found shortcuts and exes now worked. Deleted all items in the startup folder and did a reboot.
Logged back into problem user account and found the problem was permanently solved ........