Virus

Closed
stewartslady - Mar 6, 2010 at 10:14 PM
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 - Mar 8, 2010 at 07:22 AM
Hello,
someone sent me a video on my facebook from you tube. when i opened it, it was a virus. i downloaded a malware and scanned my computer found some viruses, removed them. so i am assuming they are off my computer now. but a friend recommended downloading AVG antivirus. So when i type in www.avg.com it won't take me to the website. it searches for the site thru yahoo or another search site will bring up the page link for avg but when i click on download or the page site it brings up that there is internet connectivity issues. I've run the diagnosis but it tells me nothing. i can bring up any other webpages with no problem and had a friend check on their computer to make sure nothing was wrong with the AVG website and theirs is fine. Anyone have any ideas?????? totally frustrated
Related:

4 responses

Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,172
Mar 7, 2010 at 05:34 AM
Hello Stewart Lady,

Yes I know, your computer is still infected as it redirects your browser.

Please, you must tell me the application you used to clean and the antivirus program you are using now. As soon as I read your reply, I will give you the necessary remedy to remove the remainder of the Trojan from your system in a jiffy.

Best regards

P.S. That was not a real friend who sent you the virus!
mikethedike Posts 158 Registration date Saturday August 16, 2008 Status Member Last seen September 22, 2012 41
Mar 7, 2010 at 07:35 AM
hi
this is when ur system is infected with some kind of malware / spyware

first and foremost its very imp to:-
1). Update ur malware/spyware & anti virus patch files) then only follow the steps given below

2). once ur Anti-malware/spyware and anti-virus have the latest patch files (been updated), unplug ur net connection, before u start scanning..

step No1

scan for viruses using ur Anti virus program and delete if found with any

Step No2
since u say u have already downloaded an anti-malware prog. and found and removed the files

I still recommend u to to do the same once more...but this time do it with the latest updated files..

Step No3
open ur IE on the tools menu
Internet Options
on General tab
Browsing History
click the "Delete" Tab and then the "Delete all" tab

Step No4
ok this is the final step to solve ur problem

Click on Start, click Run, and then type devmgmt.msc and click OK
On the View menu click on Show hidden devices
Browse to Non-Plug and Play Drivers and click the + sign to the left, you should see something like TDSSserv.sys in that list.
Highlight that driver and right click on it and select DISABLE - NOT uninstall.
Now RESTART your computer.

You now can plug back ur net connection

Note: Kindly let me know the name of the anit-malware prog, and the anti-virus prog u currently are using. thanx!

Awaiting comments

Melisio Mascarenhas
mikethedike
mumbai India
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,172
Mar 7, 2010 at 10:31 AM
Hello Mikethedike,

I understand the steps your prescribe for here we are talking of removing a Trojan. With due respect, updating virus definition files is not a solution as the antivirus programme did not detect it.

The reason I asked for the antimalware application that Stewartlady has used is that I want to recommend the proper one. Also, in most cases, Trojans create processes and theses processes must be stopped before attempting desinfection.

Best regards
mikethedike Posts 158 Registration date Saturday August 16, 2008 Status Member Last seen September 22, 2012 41
Mar 7, 2010 at 11:38 PM
i agree my good friend

but she hasnt mentioned that when scanned with the anti-virus and anti-malware they were updated to the current date.

as you very well know not only trojans but worms, keyloggers, sywares, malwares etc etc... keep on updating them selves. the sole purpose of companies that have manufactured these antivirus and other such progs, keep on updating thier databases (patch files) and unless the patch files are not updated, not even the best prog in the world can detect / delete / disinfect any such harmful files... no wonder our system still have kept these harmfull files at bay,

Trojans as we very well know are executable programs that are designed to disrupt or hijack applications on your computer. moreover trojan horses are used to break down security to make your computer more vulnerable to attack.

it as simple as it gets Trojans create back doors (loopholes) in ur system that allow harmfuls files to enetr and disrupt and at times crash ur entire system.

its like .... ur immune system is down and u fall sick..... the medicine the doctor gives u is to boost ur immune system to fight the germs off...

the immune system is ur antivirus,, the medicine is the updated patch files....and the germs are the virus......

s i know that trojans processes need to be stoped for that u need to do it in in safe mode in order to prevent it from re-starting and stopping u from disinfecting/deleteing the file

BTW Stewart Lady...this is for you ....Ambucias and I are trying to help you out and in proces increase our expeience and knowlege in this field ... so if possible can chalk down a few points of our discussion...could be of some use u never know ;)

also below is a link to a free download tool (trail) hope will be of some use

https://www.emsisoft.com/en/

awaiting comments

Melisio Mascarenhas
mikethedike
mumbai India
Mar 8, 2010 at 07:22 AM
Thank you Melisios, very well written indeed and your comments are much appreciated. You seem very caring and distinguished, rare qualities nowadays.

Best regards