Disappearing freespace during defrag

Solved/Closed
cretemaniam Posts 4 Registration date Sunday March 14, 2010 Status Member Last seen March 15, 2010 - Mar 14, 2010 at 03:23 AM
cretemaniam Posts 4 Registration date Sunday March 14, 2010 Status Member Last seen March 15, 2010 - Mar 15, 2010 at 07:00 AM
Hello,
I have a Gateway ML6732 laptop , about 16 mos old and Vista HP as the os . I have been using the Piriform Defraggler for over a year with no probs and good performance . Lately , I am missing freespace , in large amounts , up to 60 gb , which no files or otherwise going into the computer ! I then noticed this decline occuring during defrag . I was watching this occur on the meter in the Piriform program . It happened once ...about 40gb , that then suddenly "came back" ! Same thing with the 70 gb . Meanwhile , I checked these figures against the space display in C drive and it said the same thing .Then I ran defrag in windows and it seemed to be taking away space as well , maybe to a lesser extent , so I stopped . I am afraid my harddrive is wearing out , or , has anyone ever heard of a virus that eats space ? Thanks 4 any help !

4 responses

Ambucias Posts 47310 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,164
Mar 14, 2010 at 07:09 AM
Hello,

Yes, I did encounter a virus, an ogre, with a huge appetite for space. I don't remember the name. I have looked-up my files to find the thread in which I helped the person to restore the system to health but in vain.

But I do recall that we started with the study of a Hyjackthis log.

Please download and install Hyjackthis, request a scan and save log. Copy the log and paste here. We will see what we can find.

Here is the link to Hyjackthis:

http://free.antivirus.com/hijackthis/

Regards
cretemaniam Posts 4 Registration date Sunday March 14, 2010 Status Member Last seen March 15, 2010
Mar 15, 2010 at 12:02 AM
Ambucias ; Thanks for your reply and the humour about the ogre ! The problem was resolved , thanks to the people @ Piriform Docs which I found on google . I just wrote you a detailed account of the fix , which somehow was lost when I tried to send , but the jist of it is that the space alotted for system restore points was full and causing the prob of inaccurate freespace readings . So I manually deleted these old "shadow copy files " and it fixed it ! And , I am saving the linc for hyjack this . Is this a good prog to run just to see what it comes up with ? Thanks again !
Ambucias Posts 47310 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,164
Mar 15, 2010 at 05:39 AM
Hello,

That is really good news and congratulations in finding the fix.

I in turn will look for the detailed account for the fix and see if it can be published in the FAQ.

Thank you ever so much for taking the time to reply for often many don't bother.

Very best regards
cretemaniam Posts 4 Registration date Sunday March 14, 2010 Status Member Last seen March 15, 2010
Mar 15, 2010 at 07:00 AM
Ambucias ; Likewise , I appreciate your attentiveness ! I am new to these forums and if even not a large percentage of the people co-operate , I can see where it would be a really good thing . That Piriform Defraggler remedy , I found by simply Googling "defraggler problems " , and there was a linc to "piriform Docs that directly addressed the prob . Thanks again !