Windows keyboard keys not and can't login

Closed
annoyed - Mar 17, 2010 at 03:04 AM
gazmakka Posts 6 Registration date Thursday March 25, 2010 Status Member Last seen March 25, 2010 - Mar 25, 2010 at 04:47 AM
Hi All -

I have an older dell latitude - d600 running on xp. Some of the keys are not working. I have tried logging in on bios, adminstrator, etc. The problem is that my password happens to be using one of the keys that are not working so therefore i can't even log on. This just started happening out of the blue. PLEASE HELP! Trying to avoid a reinstall but any suggestions would be great.

Cheers,

Annoyed
Related:

3 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Mar 18, 2010 at 12:36 AM
Did you try an external keyboard?
Hi XPCMAN - Yes i got my hands on a wireless keyboard and was able to log in. Should I do an update to the software as some of the keys are still not working? I'm running XP.
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Mar 24, 2010 at 04:21 PM
if would look for a replacement keyboard.
gazmakka Posts 6 Registration date Thursday March 25, 2010 Status Member Last seen March 25, 2010 2
Mar 25, 2010 at 04:47 AM
I agree with xpcman. try another keyboard..............and or......
1/ Open up your notebook ( lift the lid off it) and carefully lay out all the keys in order so you can replace them later where they meant to be, then clean out the the dust etc and see if you can seperate the two membranes of thin plastic and gently wipe them both sides with a lint cloth and a mild cleaner (meth spirits is ok) Check to see if the key that is troublesome is worn out or if where it makes contact with the top membrane there is a worn connection ( thin copper connections run like a grid and the point of contact ie like a small circle.When you push the key it causes the two contacts on the membranes to touch and makes a circuit.
HARD work!!!! get another keyboard : )

2/ Remove your password..........info on how to do is here:
http://ccm.net/forum/affich-88931-forget-window-admin-password
make a new password not using the dicky key.

3/ Windows XP has an Onscreen keyboard that you can use via your mouse pointer..........slow as a wet week but will do til you get a new keyboard (USB or whatever)