Ibook won't start

Closed
ibook frustrated - Oct 9, 2008 at 05:08 PM
 ibook frustrated - Nov 13, 2008 at 03:48 AM
Hello,

I have an ibook that won't boot. I get the sound when you press the power button but nothing happens. Reading the manual, it tells me to press the control and apple key while pressing the power button. Same thing happens, I get the sound for a second, then what sounds like the disk drive for another second then nothing. By the way, the battery is fully charged and nothing is hooked to the PC except the keyboard and mouse. Any suggestions?

2 responses

Just starting out
Nov 4, 2008 at 04:08 AM
Have you tested the screen on another computer? Or is it a laptop. if so and the sounds coming through it's quite possibly this.
ibook frustrated
Nov 5, 2008 at 05:52 AM
The answer is yes and yes. Yes, I've tried it with another screen and yes, it's a laptop. The laptop has the capability to feed a second screen, presumably bigger, than the 12" or so portable screen.

With the second screen attached, when the screen on the laptop is blank (primary screen I'll call it), the secondary screen is also blank. So apparently the signal that supplies the primary screen is the same siginal that's supplying the secondary screen and both are not present.

PS - On occasion it will boot up now but within a few seconds/minutes, the screen starts getting squirrly and then it freezes up or goes blank.

Any and all help is appreciated.
I'd unplug the monitor and keyboard and any others to rule those out of the equation. Does it boot up all the way to where you can see the desktop? What OS are you on: 10.4 or 10.5?
ibook frustrated
Nov 13, 2008 at 03:48 AM
I've tried to boot it with nothing attached, i.e., just the lap top running on the battery and nothing happens. I've checked the battery and it's fully charged. The last time I was able to boot it, I pivoted the monitor down slightly and the screen froze and then when hay-wire. I had to remove the battery to get it to stop.