All desktop icons have disappeared

Closed
alain - Mar 30, 2010 at 04:29 PM
Ambucias Posts 47310 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 - Apr 1, 2010 at 06:13 AM
My desktop icons have disappeared. All of them!
I can only acess them via explorer i.e C:/..../desktop
Also my recent documents and the shutdown and stanby button have also disappeared
and I failed to restore them completely;

My office 2007 software (words, excel, etc...) no longer show the recent documents,
all the shortcuts have disappeared

I am using Norton 2009 and have run virus scan with no results!
My OS is Win XP SP3

Can anyone suggest a solution?
Also this seem to be spreading over my home network! 3 computers have the same symptoms!
No firewall! Please help!
Related:

3 responses

Ambucias Posts 47310 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,164
Mar 30, 2010 at 04:57 PM
Bonjour,

Wow!

Do you know how your contracted this infection? I am most curious to know for it is almost deadly!

For this type of infection, I can only think of one remedy and it is powerful, sort of cybernitic horse medicine, it is called Combofix.

After you have downloaded ComboFix, before you run it:

1. Close all applications
2. Disable all of your antivirus applications
3. Disconnect you modem

If you have removal drives or other removable memory devices which you think may have got infected plug them in but do not open them.

Here is your link to ComboFix from Bleeping Computer.

https://download.bleepingcomputer.com/sUBs/ComboFix.exe

I would sure appreciate your feedback.

Best regards
Thanks ambucias, I tried Combofix and manage to restore my desktop icons and shutdown button on the start menu! However the My Recent Documents on the Start Menu is still not showing, and recently open/ created documents in office programs are not showing in the recent documents list (Office 2007),

I can't figure out what exaclty was the problem, or its source, can you help analyse the COmbofix log to make sense out of it?

Thanks again
Ambucias Posts 47310 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,164
Apr 1, 2010 at 06:13 AM
Hi Alain,

I think that in the course of the clean-up some properties have been changed. This software (Office stuff) on which I do not wish to venture helping you.

Please see if you can open another thread in the Windows forum :"Recent documents not showing" and explain the difficulty.

Thank you