Windows Xp

Solved/Closed
Sempergumby - Oct 16, 2008 at 01:53 PM
sempergumby Posts 4 Registration date Wednesday October 15, 2008 Status Member Last seen October 17, 2008 - Oct 17, 2008 at 08:57 AM
Hello,
well I'm sure this has been asked before I just can't seem to find it.
Question!!
I can not log on to my Dell desk top. I click on the user account and it begins the log on process then the screen will flask and the account is logged off.
I don't care if i loose any info as it is an older PC.
I have tried to use safe mode admin account and nothing is working.
Also i want to install Vista on this PC and i don't care if i wipe out Windows XP
Can any one help?
thanks for your time and help.
Gumby
Related:

3 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Oct 16, 2008 at 02:38 PM
I would NOT install Vista on an old computer. I like Vista but it does not work well on older/slower computers. Go to the Microsoft Web site and look for the program/service that evaluates how Vista will work on your computer. You might also NOT be able to use your current printer and/or scanner with VISTA. (no Vista drivers for older accessories)

I would use the restore CD that came with the Dell. Hit F2 or F12 when your computer starts to boot - set it to boot from the CD drive and insert the Dell restore CD. It should clean off the hard disk and reinstall Windows. If Dell gave you a driver CD you may need to install the drivers also.

Keep me informed of your status and mark this thread as solved if this fixes your problem.
sempergumby Posts 4 Registration date Wednesday October 15, 2008 Status Member Last seen October 17, 2008
Oct 17, 2008 at 08:48 AM
I found the Windows XP Cd... all is running well now thanks for the help
sempergumby Posts 4 Registration date Wednesday October 15, 2008 Status Member Last seen October 17, 2008
Oct 17, 2008 at 08:57 AM
Thank you very much.
I just found my restore CD. I don't know if i could have ever fixed this problem with out it.