HP laptop won't boot after upgrade to win 7

Closed
Riccardo - Apr 14, 2010 at 06:52 AM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Apr 19, 2011 at 06:29 PM
I have an HP DV9646 laptop and recently upgraded to Windows 7. Shortly afterwards I had to force shut down after a system crash playing a movie DVD. System will now not boot at all. I tried to restore it and repair it. It will boot off the windows 7 32 bit CD. Microsoft have beed great with 4 hours of support calls but no outcome. HP just very rudely refused to help at all (last HP purchase I think!). I ran the windows 7 advisor before install and updated drivers as it advised. Anyone had anything similar?
Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Apr 19, 2011 at 06:29 PM
1. Your PC won't boot

If turning on your PC doesn't bring you into Windows, try booting from a Windows 7 DVD or a recovery disc. You may already have the DVD. If Windows 7 didn't come with your computer but you installed it yourself, you have the disc. If you don't have it, you can borrow someone else's disc.

Alternatively you can borrow someone else's Windows 7 computer and use it to create a System Repair Disc (you can also do this on your own PC before it has a problem). To create the disc, click Start, type system repair, select Create a System Repair Disc, and follow the prompts.

If your computer won't boot from the CD, go into its setup screen and change the boot order so that the optical or CD/DVD drive comes before the hard drive. I can't tell you exactly how to do this since it differs from one PC to another. When you first turn on the computer, look for an on-screen message telling you to press a particular key 'for setup'.

If your PC fails before you can enter setup or boot from a CD, you have a hardware problem. If you're not comfortable working inside a PC, take it to a professional.

But let's assume that the CD boots. When it does, follow the prompts. Likely the utility will tell you very soon that there's a problem, and it will ask if you want to fix the problem. You do.

If it doesn't ask you, or if the disc can't fix the issue, you'll see a menu with various options. Startup Repair and System Restore are both worth trying.