Msn and media player freezes my pc

Closed
Mo Bwoi - Oct 23, 2008 at 02:55 PM
 1xiii3 - May 10, 2009 at 11:26 AM
Hello,

Windows update updated me to service pack 3, I got msn live and usin media player 11, when I'm usin msn and selectin ma songs to be played on media player 11. For some reason it starts freezin. I can tell coz my music that is playin starts to skip like if it is slowin down. Next thing you know the whole pc freezes, cnt move the mouse, type anythin or get up task manger. The only way round it is to press the resart button. Never had this problem before I'm usin a 2.8Ghz proceesor and 512MB Ram but im thinkin it dnt need Ram coz i've always used it at this

Please help any one. Thanks
Related:

4 responses

You are not alone my friend!!!! I am having the exact same problem apart from my Music continues to play fine, i can move my mouse but i cant click nothing, cant shut my pc down, cant do anything i just have to press the Reset switch on my tower!!!!

Any help anyone?..

My system is Dual Core E2180 O/C @ 2.8ghz x 2, 2gb DDR2, Nvidia 8600gt 512mb DDR3...
Hey man, I've kinda sorted my problem out, Had four hard drives in my pc and upgraded my RAM to a 1GB but that wasnt the problem. but the problem starts when the hard drive has a problem with it most likey when it's about to die. It wasnt my c: drive (OS), it was my d: drive with my music. so when I transfered the music to my other drive E: drive and disabled the D: drive it was working fine after that. Then E: drive was havin problems after I transfered the music to it (which is a sata drive which i dont really like), So I'm startin to think there's a problem with the music. I've scanned my music so many times for virues but nothing. I have turned the power of the E: drive (sata drive) before the data is not recoverable. Lost two drives now 40GB and 80GB. With them to out of the way it seems to be working fine, just not enough space now 20GB and 160GB which are almost full.

When your becomin a IT technician and ya unk is one, you learn a few things

I hope this helps you, any problems with it jus give me a shout
I do have 2 Hard Drives.. My C is a SATA 2 (O/S) and D is a IDE and both are 160gb, this setup has been running brilliant for over a year. I done the same, my D has all my Music, pictures etc but i dont think theres a problem with the drive cos ive checked it with Acronis software.. That reports its working perfect... Its not a Virus cos my Bitdefender is running fine and ive scanned... This has only started since i updated my Nvidia drivers for FarCry 2.. It must be that!!
i get soooo annyed
my computer has the very same issue, the computer randomly freezes when I either have MSN or Media Player 11 on, and I noticed it started to happen right after I got the SP3 upgrade

Sometimes the computer was able to restart by itself and when it is able to, it sends an error report, something about one of Windows apps got messed up and the MS website can't locate the problem

I have even checked for viruses, and I had none in my computer whenever it freezes on me and now I am out of options, except upgrade to Vista, which won't be cheap
Hi mate!! I sorted my issue out a while ago and heres how... Go to C/Docs and setts/users/(yourname)/local setts/temp there was a file called pi.exe that was hijacking the media player causing it to crash the computer!! Check your pc to see if you have it!!
Mo Bwoi > 1xiii3
May 10, 2009 at 11:19 AM
Thanks man, I'll looke out for it, seem thou i've had a clean install
1xiii3 > Mo Bwoi
May 10, 2009 at 11:26 AM
Yeh mine was a clean install!!!! Seems that something came through internet explorer when i was downloading firefox!!!

Also some modified XP versions that get uploaded, into say rapidshare, Limewire or Torrents have that file included cos its a "Theme extension/modification file" thats used to change certain windows ui settings.
Although its not actually a virus it does mess about with stability and conflicts with some software causing random crashes!!