Lost Audio on Vista

Closed
billthinx - Oct 25, 2008 at 07:46 PM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Oct 25, 2008 at 09:08 PM
Hello,
I have been recording successfully with an external mic and using 1AV Center software. The software required a new license so I downloaded and installed a paid version. At the end of install I got a message saying that "your computer does not have audio installed so 1AV Center will only work with video". Sure enough, I have not been able to hear anything using Windows Media for playback. Previously, all was working fine with audio, including playback on Windows Media. I am sure this is another Vista problem. The computer is a Dell XPS M1330 Laptop, running Windows Vista Home Premium, 32-bit system, with Service Pack 1.
How can I check audio and then restore it?
Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Oct 25, 2008 at 09:08 PM
Your 1AV Center installed a new sound driver, one that didn't work with your hardware, it's not Vista's fault.

Let's see if I can point you in the right direction for a solution:
Go to START - CONTROL PANEL - HARDWARE AND SOUND - UPDATE DEVICE DRIVERS - click on the + next to SOUND, VIDEO AND GAME CONTROLLERS - you will see a list of internal devices - one of them may have a yellow question mark next to it - if so that is the problem device (my Dell has a SigmaTel High Definition Audio Codec if that helps)
Double click the sound device - then click on the DRIVER tab and then UPDATE DRIVER and let it search for the best driver.