Immediate Response for recent problem

Closed
carol - Apr 23, 2010 at 04:46 PM
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 - Apr 26, 2010 at 05:24 AM

I have received a pop-up supposedly from McAfee for the past two days. I have three computers, two using XP SP3 and one using VISTA, and all have had same pop-up.

It says "Immediate response required to check a recent prolem which may have affected your computer". It then goes on to say click on the McAfee product in my task bar, click on Updates and the solution will be downloaded automatically.

Is this a legitimate fix for a McAfee problem? Does it really come from them? What problem does it fix? Will it leave a virus?

I haven't received any answer from McAfee and I don't know what to do.

1 response

Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,169
Apr 23, 2010 at 05:19 PM
Hello Carol,

First I strongly advise that you ignore these pop-ups which are designed to get personal information and/or infect your computer.

McAfee if you have it, nor any other antiviruses company communicate in that manner.

I also suspect your computer to be already infected.

Please download, install, update Malwarebyte:

https://ccm.net/downloads/security-and-maintenance/4621-malwarebytes-anti-malware/

Run a FULL system scan.

Best regards

P.S. I hope that you did not receive a previous message sent to you which no class.
Ambucias:

Thanks for the help. We ran McAfee, Windows Defender and Malware and all three found no viruses, so we're hoping for the best.
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,169
Apr 26, 2010 at 05:24 AM
Carol
Thank you for your feedback.
Keep me posted.