How to remove a Virus "XP smart security 2010

Closed
Tom - May 4, 2010 at 06:35 AM
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 - May 4, 2010 at 05:09 PM
Hello!
About a week ago I encountered a virus called XP smart security 2010. This virus will not let me operate my computer. When I turn no my computer, it goes through the normal process and then I get a pop-up and it says your computer is inffected and then starts to scan it. All my icons have disapeared including the start menu. Just yesturday I was able to remove the pop-up but I still do not have my icons back or the start menu. I have tried to go through safe mode but I do not have full access to everything. Can you help?? Is there a way that I can save my personal files and then reinstall windows XP Home edition.

Please if anyone has answer to this, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you very much.
Related:

2 responses

anjana03 Posts 209 Registration date Tuesday February 9, 2010 Status Member Last seen July 26, 2014 57
May 4, 2010 at 06:54 AM
if u have desk top computer. u can take out all data . take out hdd and put another computer and copy file in another computer. if safe mod is disable formate c drive and after scan other drive putting update antivirous . then u can scan another infected file . thanks
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,171
May 4, 2010 at 05:09 PM
Tom,

Before removing the pop-ups, it would have been preferable to come to Kioskea, we have almost all of the solutions.

Do not reinstall your Windows...

I don't know the state of your system now, however, I shall prescribe to you a very powerfull antidote that is able to kill and send and Trojan Horse to the glue factory. It is of very last resort and should not be abused of, as matter of a fact, once you have used it, I suggest you delete it from your system.

To keep your system safe, you must follow the instructions hereunder to the letter:

1. Download Combofix to your desktop.

http://www.combofix.org/download.php

2.Close all open Windows including this one.

Close or disable all running Antivirus, Antispyware, and Firewall programs as they may interfere with the proper running of ComboFix.

3. Double click on the ComboFix icon.

Windows is issuing this prompt because ComboFix does not have a digital signature. This is perfectly normal and safe and you can click on the Run button to continue.

4. Accept the disclaimer and the recovery

5.You should now press the Yes button to continue. If at any time during the Recovery Console installation you receive a message stating that it failed to install, please allow ComboFix to continue with the scan of your computer.

ComboFix will disconnect your computer from the Internet, so do not be surprised or concerned if you receive any warnings stating that you are no longer on the Internet. When ComboFix has finished it will automatically restore your Internet connection.

While the program is scanning your computer, it will change your clock format, so do not be concerned when you see this happen. When ComboFix is finished it will restore your clock settings to their previous settings.

If you see your Windows desktop disappear, do not worry. This is normal and ComboFix will restore your desktop before it is finished. Eventually you will see a new screen that states the program is almost finished and telling you the programs log file, or report, will be located at C:\ComboFix.txt.

During the process, please do not mouse click nor must you tap on the keyboard. Let the tool run.

Once you are done, paste the log here and report to me on how your system is behaving.

Good luck

Ambucias