Somthing won't let me into my hard drive

Closed
darkonark - Oct 31, 2008 at 03:19 PM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Nov 1, 2008 at 10:49 AM
Hello,
My computer runs Windows XP Media Center Edition
OK so here is my problem, one day I took some pictures off of a camera.
then my computer starts acting slow and choppy, so realizing that I haven't de-fraged my computer in awhile I run de-frag. Unlike what normally happens it took give or take 3 hours to get to 55%, then in the next 2 hours it does nothing, so I shut the computer off.

When I turn it back on I get the didn't shut down right page, so i go through the safe modes and all that good stuff and none of it works.

So I pop in the restore disk (this has happened before) and it didn't give me the option of restoring my system without deleting all of my files (so I didn't do that).

So like anybody else I try ubuntu (didn't get in my hard drive), kubuntu (also didn't get in my hard drive), then knoppix ( which got into my hard drive but didn't see my files (mabye because the knoppix was in german).

So I took an old slave drive, put my os on it and hooked it up. At first the computer only recignized the drive before windows was completely booted (because it wanted to run scandisk). so i let scandisk run and it got over half dont in some six odd hours and for 12 more didn't do anything, so I shut it off figuring that it would keep doing nothing.
When I turn it back on and go to "my computer" the drive is there (happy day right), I double clik and after a minute I get "inpage error. Please help me!
Related:

2 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Oct 31, 2008 at 04:36 PM
Sound like your hard drive is nearly dead. The fix with the least hassle is to buy a new hard drive re-install Windows on that hard drive and then put your old hard drive back to recover your data.
I don't believe that's the case, I ran knoppix (a linux debian os) on it and that opened all folders with no problem...it just didn't see the files. All I need to do is see my files and cut them out. I you have any suggestions please tell me
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Nov 1, 2008 at 10:49 AM
Fixing the MBR (Master Boot Record) is another option. See this link:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-repair-the-master-boot-record-in-windows-xp-2624513