Registration date
Thursday January 28, 2010
Status
Contributor
Last seen
August 2, 2020
-
Hello,

I need to compare 2 spreadsheets that are coming form different sources but have mainly the same content. I can easily edit them so that the columns are in the same positions in both but I need to know how to compare each column of one spresheet to the corresponding one on the other.
Basically, to compare things such as stock codes, barcodes and price to make sure they are all the same on both sheets. One list will contain items that the other does not.
I need it to return items that do not match
Appreciate any help on tis

1 reply

Registration date
Status
Contributor
Last seen
August 2, 2020
How many columns are we talking about here
Also on a single row, if you add up all the cell how many maximum characters would be there
Registration date
Status
Contributor
Last seen
August 2, 2020
Since you mentioned earlier that there is data formatting difference between the two. Based on that I would suggest you do incremental compare. By incremental I mean that first your compare the supplier codes. If they dont match, then no match, For those who did match, you can have like see if Unit case match, If they do match then move to next, else no match. This way you can have matches to a point where you can say ok now I have to manually look for these values because based on matches so far, I may have a false non-match due to data formatting issue.
So you see you need to think of the flow of how compare would happened on a row. If there is a match on unit case only, chances are that this match does you no good. So again in human term you need to think how a row should be compared

Hope I made some sense here
Some sense, how would I do an incremental compare in excel?
Registration date
Status
Contributor
Last seen
August 2, 2020
There is no incremental search. What I was trying to say was, first point of business is you need to come up with how search is going to occur. Once you have understanding of how rules of search would be, those rules can be coded. So first you need to say compare would happen. Basic idea is if there is no macro etc to help you, how would you have done search. Once you have that nailed down, you can have macro do as much of as your manual work into automatic feature. At this point I am not able to say how one can compare
Manual search would be - Search to see supplier product code exists on both, if it does then compare other columns on the same row of that product code to ensure they all match. ie If supplier product code is BQ050WC and it shows on both sheets, then I must proceed to compare the other columns, such as unit case, price where the supplier product code is BQ050WC.

If at any point they do not match, I need the entire row to output to a page so that a report can be produced on the changes needed.
Registration date
Status
Contributor
Last seen
August 2, 2020
What makes an item unique. Is it the combination of Supplier Product Code and the Store Product code ?

Subscribe To Our Newsletter!

The Best of CCM in Your Inbox

Subscribe To Our Newsletter!