Computer reboots randomly

Closed
Axeleonth - Jun 5, 2010 at 08:24 AM
 Axeleonth - Jun 7, 2010 at 07:22 PM
Hello, my computer is fairly old, but recently it has been doing random rebooting. I am using it in now in Safe Mode with networking as it works fine in Safe Mode. But in normal mode it can log in and everything, but randomly reboots not letting you do anything. I recently did a virus scan that said it was Windows Security. But it happened again in safe mode and I realised it was running through the internet. Now I know security scans for Windows do not pop up on an internet tab while surfing, so I closed it, but how can I fix the damage that has already been done to get it to work without Safe Mode?

1 response

jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020
Jun 7, 2010 at 06:34 AM
switch on ur pc and keep on pressing F8, if bootmenu appears just click on Esc key and keep pressing F8-->then u can find options like safe mode, safe mode with command prompt..... just select last known good configuration and press enter

or

try system restore from the safe mode

or

select my computer and right click on it--->select properties--->select advanced tab--->in startup and recovery click on settings--> in system failure uncheck this 1 ( automatically restart)
I've tried System Restore, didn't work. I also tried unclicking that and when rebooting and getting to normal desktop, it just froze.
jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020
Jun 7, 2010 at 02:27 PM
try this 1
so to run-->type "msconfig" without quotes--> click on OK--->In services tab-->
check the box at the bottom hide microsoft services -->then click on disable all
then select startup tab then click on disable all-->ok-->restart--> now try to boot in normal mode
Tried that just then, does what it always does. I think I need to detail more on my situation cause I didn't mention some details. System Restore keeps coming up incomplete, saying it cannot be restored to that date, I have tried five different dates. It no longer seems to reboot, as we told it not to, instead usually after the time all the icons on the desktop get their pictures, the entire screen looks black and the mouse icon in whatever state it was is the only thing on the screen, and it cannot be moved. It also appears twice as big, like the pixelation has gone weird, looking like old 98.