Sims 3 keeps crashing [Solved/Closed]

PattyAL 1 Posts Wednesday July 3, 2013Registration date July 3, 2013 Last seen - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:08 PM - Latest reply:  annominous
- Jan 4, 2018 at 03:11 PM
Hello,

I've had this problem for a while, i'll be playing my game for like a couple minutes and then it'll either freeze up and i'll have to close it with out saving, or it'll just close down on its own. I don't really download anything so it can't be because of that. i've tried almost everything. I can't uninstall and reinstall everything because I don't have all of my games any more so that would just suck. I have Windows 7, if that helps. help me please?

See more 

67 replies

sportiechick 1 Posts Wednesday September 3, 2014Registration date September 3, 2014 Last seen - Sep 3, 2014 at 12:28 AM
+55
Helpful
Hey try right clicking the sims icon on the desktop and going to properties. Once you're there go to the compatibility tab and change the format that the game runs in. I had it running on windows xp mode or something and so when I changed it to windows 7, I haven't had a crash yet. hope this helps
Was this answer helpful?  
i have a hybrid dell idk what that is?! but i messing around with what u said ill hopefully get it to work soon.
+48
Helpful
Go to Control panel
System and Security
System
Advanced System Settings
Performance > Settings
Data Execution Prevention
Then click the second option and turn off dep for sims launcher and expansions packs.
i acnt find dep
well done it help
I have the same problem but I'm unsure of how this solution works. DEP, according to Windows Help and Support, "is a security feature that can help prevent damage to your computer from viruses and other security threats. Harmful programs can try to attack Windows by attempting to run (also known as execute) code from system memory locations reserved for Windows and other authorized programs. These types of attacks can harm your programs and files.

DEP can help protect your computer by monitoring your programs to make sure that they use system memory safely. If DEP notices a program on your computer using memory incorrectly, it closes the program and notifies you." - Quoted from Windows Help and Support, What is Data Execution Prevention?

That is saying, that if it (DEP) is to stop, and close The Sims 3, then it would also notify you that it has done so. I haven't seen one person post about the DEP notifying them that the DEP closed The Sims 3.

However, if I am wrong, I give my greatest apologies and hope everyone finds a solution to this problem. Have a great rest of the day.

Sincerely,
Kitzz =^_^=
kitzz I am with you
It won't let me, I try to select sims 3 but all it says is "No such interface supported"

i did get it off of Steam, would that make a difference?
+43
Helpful
Yeah, that happens to me too, it usually happens to people on laptops so if you re doing that, it might be the reason, The Sims 3 is a powerful game unlike others, so it won't be able to handle well on any system, it even crashes on $5000 gaming systems, the game is unstable and that's Maxis's fault, so it's inevitable and nobody can help you, just blame EA and Maxis for making the game too powerful.
sims 4 is fine the system has been developed
@Ryan1mc3 How Do You Change The Properties Of The Game Launcher?
On your home page right click on origin and choose properties
Im going to try
sallyyyyyyyyyyyyy - Jan 13, 2015 at 01:03 PM
I use sims 3 on xbox 360 and its been working fine untill just now. It works untill I want to save then it just freezes up and I have to switch the xbox off??? its so annoying because I have to redo all my work for it to just not save agaim
+34
Helpful
All I had to do was close off my wifi, and it worked flawlessly!
+27
Helpful
now that's not true. you just need the right requirements to actually run it. the game often crashes because the ram or the graphics card or anything like that doesn't support the game.
Show me proof?
my game is above pc spec so it run sim 3 fine
+19
Helpful
I have an HP laptop running Windows 8.1 with an i7 processor and 16GB of ram and my game keeps crashing. It will run for a few minutes, then just close down all by itself. I know my computer has more than enough to be able to run this game, I've even tried updating the game and restarting my laptop. Not sure what is causing this issue.
It's most likely the video card. Mine does the same thing. Everything is way over the recommended requirements but shitty Sony VAIO has a terrible video card... Too slow to keep up with the awesomeness of the Sims.
AnonomouslyAmazing 5 Posts Sunday April 6, 2014Registration date April 6, 2014 Last seen - Apr 6, 2014 at 02:33 AM
HP Is a crap company. I have an HP aswell (Not by choice) And It'll load my game, I can play it too.... For about 10 minutes.. Then the screen goes black and then it crashes.. If you have HP thats most of your problem.. Aside from the other major problems. As for the other guy, I haven't had any problem when playing on my laptop.. I've gone hours and hours on it actually... Until that turned to crap too... (Because it also is an HP) Try changing your setting to a lower gear.. For instance, When you get into the game (Before your 10 minutes is up) Go to the settings and Graphics menu, Change the "Size" From whatever it is to 600 x ??? I believe it is.. Whatever the lowest is. It may be crap quality but atleast your playing it.. If that doesn't work.. Then thats 2 failure companies for you.
What kind of gpu or graphics card do you have though?
I have a sony vaio and it was great for the years I've had sims 3 till recently it's been doing what everyone has been describing just I'm not sure if it's the update that the sims 3 company did or what currently de fragging and also cleaned up my ram space seeing if it helps..
personally I think they purposely started having sims 3 crashing so that everyone would have to upgrade to sims 4 (I've heard sims 4 doesn't crash). simple marketing trick. Mine crashes all the time as well, It never used to up to about maybe 6 months ago. I thought maybe it had to do with overheating but even when my computer is well aired it still crashes after a time.. also read reviews about people who meet requirements still have issues with crashing, faulty game coding... oh well.
+14
Helpful
I used to run it on windows 8 and ran it on 8.1 for ages, however, the other day there out of nowhere it crashes every time I play it. So I updated my game and it still does it, nothing seemed to trigger it, it just crashed and has continually done so. Btw I have 800GB of RAM, so that's not the problem
Tigerhartedgirl - Apr 13, 2014 at 06:37 PM
Change it to XP compatibility. My husband did that on mine and it crashed once and was fine after that.
Its gonna crash no madder what, I got a alienware laptop worth $5000,
32 gig of ram, 60g ssd 1 tb storage 3.4 ghz, nvidia 600 series. Every single expansion pack, And it crashes al the time, I even tried it on my computer, 3.6 ghz, 16 gb of ram, 4 tb storage, Asus HD7970 (HD7970-DC2-3GD5 ) OC. It crashes no madda what. So I dont play it anymore, and wont be playing sims 4 either.
same with me I've got all the requirements and it still crashes! so its the game if you have the requirements
sims 4 actually can run better than sims 3. its almost like a whole new game. my sims 3 always crashes on me but I played sims 4 about 5 hours last night and it ran smoothly.
i have windows 8.1 and have all the sims 3 games on my lap top the only time mine crashes is if it get too hot so like after 5 hours
+9
Helpful
I have the same problem. I have an HP Envy 6 Sleekbook. I have my Sims 3 game installed and usually, after 15-30 minutes it will crash, telling me that it has stopped working and must be closed. I have tried multiple properties changes, as well as control panel changes. My only other guess is resolution, but I hate starting a game to lose my data. Anyone else have any other ideas?
+7
Helpful
I hyave all require ments that its needs and my game keeps crashing!
+7
Helpful
not enough ram
XxShadowWolf13xX 4 Posts Sunday March 30, 2014Registration date April 3, 2014 Last seen - Mar 30, 2014 at 01:36 AM
How much RAM is needed?
2GB Minimum 4GB Recommended. Anything over 4 is good I have 16gb but still the same problem :(
+6
Helpful
Do you have all the correct system requirements? If you do, how much Ram do you have?
+6
Helpful
i have dell, I have just update my system from windows 8 to 8.1, worked fine on 8 now seems to be having problems is it windows 8.1?
+6
Helpful
It never happened to me until my dad downloaded mcaffee. Grrr......
Anyone got any solutions to that???
had the same problem, I had to turn off the real time scanning, and turn off my connection to the internet.
Tigerhartedgirl - Apr 9, 2014 at 08:03 AM
+5
Helpful
I have enough RAM and my graphics card has been updated, so that is not the problem because the game still crashes on me. I however have windows 8.1, and have been told that the new update for it was the reason my game keeps crashing and until windows fixes it, there is nothing much I can do. (my husband is an I.T tech)
+5
Helpful
I bought an Alienware M14X R2, gaming laptop mind you, thinking it would stop my Sims 3 crashing but... NOPE. It's the game that is unstable. I think.
+4
Helpful
I've had the Sims 3 for almost 2 years now and it has always crashed. Some worlds (Island Paradiso, Pets, Ambitions world) on TS3 causes it to crash more and I can't have pets such as horses, dogs and cats. And also a glitch would happen where my sim would just not be able to go to work. Like they would reset whenever I made them go to work. Does not matter what career it is, I've tried it all. Same situation. My remedy was making them become self-employers with Ambitions. So there are a lot of flaws in TS3. But now its gotten to the point where I can't even go to Map View without having it crashing. I've sent messages to TS3 themselves and they never reply.
Jack McPhail - Jan 22, 2014 at 04:04 PM
+2
Helpful
I dont think The sims 3 has been made compatible with windows 8 yet, so theres your problem.
It always used to work with Windows 8 and even worked once I updated my computer to 8.1. It just recently started having this problem.
Shane1996 1 Posts Sunday May 25, 2014Registration date May 25, 2014 Last seen - May 25, 2014 at 04:02 AM
+2
Helpful
Im also having this problem, Im running windows 8.1 with 8GB of ram and an R9 290 GPU, so I know its not because of the ram or my gpu? I got an i7 cpu?
+2
Helpful
Its simple! You need a ton of of space on your hard drive like 25gb+ so it can handle auto saving.
I have 600GB of space on my hard drive and it still crashes, so. No.
Helpful
The same thing happend to me you should install your sims 3 games onto another computer or laptop and it works but there is nothing you can do to make it work on your current computer.