Dell System restore

Solved/Closed
9884booth Posts 4 Registration date Monday November 17, 2008 Status Member Last seen August 25, 2010 - Nov 18, 2008 at 01:46 PM
 Sanjay - Apr 1, 2011 at 06:15 PM
Hello,
My daughter has a basic Dell desktop computer (3-4 years old) and it's badly infected with a virus (trojan downloader). I remember with my old pc (non-dell) that a system restore disc could be used to wipr the hard-drive and return to original configuration.
Is it possible to use the restore disc from another pc or does it have to belong to the required pc?

The system runs XP and I have a restore disc from my old pc.

If not is there any other way to get the pc clean and back to original configuration?

Any help appreciated

Thanks
Steve
Related:

3 responses

if you have windows xp turn your computer off and then turn it on again while the screen in black and your waiting for the windows logo to pop up hit ctrl and hold it down and then hit f11 and keep taping it until the restore screen pops up and make sure you hit the one that says restore it will restore your computer back to factory made and it will run like brand new dont for get to save anything you want before you start cause youll lose every thing
Your such a gangster thanks alot Mate :)
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Nov 18, 2008 at 04:02 PM
NO - you can not use a system restore CD from another computer. Your Dell probably has a hidden partition on the hard drive that will restore the system to factory condition. Go to this link to get instructions from Dell:

https://www.dell.com/support/contents/fr-fr/category/Product-Support/Self-support-Knowledgebase
How do I system restore or jus dix my prob witout a I have a missing I or
Corrupt file on start it says \windows\system32\config\system ive treid
F8 and theres no repair in the menu nd I dont have f11 oh I have a dell inspiron
910 mini

Thanks
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,169
Feb 18, 2011 at 04:47 AM
Tony

Insert your Win Cd, boot and you will get the repair option

Good luck