Windows Shortcut icon hides files

Closed
Kit - Jun 10, 2010 at 02:34 PM
 Kit - Jun 10, 2010 at 03:50 PM
Hello,

I recently copied a group of files from one disk to another before formatting the disk. The new folder containing my files contains only a windows shortcut icon directing me to the old disk. However when I list the properties of the shortcut it shows me that the file size is equivalent to the files I have copied. When I click the icon nothing happens. Are the files really there and can I somehow change the icon to reveal them? I could run a disk rescue programme on my old disk as I have done nothing with it since it was formatted but as we are talking about almost 250Gb I am reluctant to do this as it will yake ages and I will loose the subdirectory structure - anyone have any ideas please

Related:

2 responses

hazza 19 Posts 10 Registration date Thursday June 10, 2010 Status Member Last seen August 3, 2010
Jun 10, 2010 at 02:39 PM
Hi,i found this on microsoft website

First, I would like to confirm when the issue began to occur. Have any new programs or hardware installed on the computer?

Let's refer to the following steps to troubleshoot the issue.

1. Restart the computer in Safe Mode and check whether the problematic icon can display normally. Please tell me the result.

2. If the icon can display fine, you can perform a Clean Boot to avoid incompatible third party programs.

3. Reset Desktop icon cache

===================

a. Click Start, and open Computer.

b. On the Tool bar, click Organize and choose Folder and Search Options.

c. Click the View tab, and check to select the Show hidden files and folders option, and click OK.

d. Then, enter the following directory:

C:\Users\(User Name)\AppData\Local

e. Find the IconCache.db file, and rename it as IconCache.db.old.

f. Close the window, and restart the computer.

What's the result?

hazza 19
Thank you hazza 19 - this worked first time and has saved me a lot of time and messing about - great quick response