Dell Inspirion 2650 laptop to run faster

Solved/Closed
MissyT - Jun 18, 2010 at 01:47 PM
 Missy - Jun 22, 2010 at 08:24 AM
Hello, You people are great - I have a old Dell Inspiron 2650 and it runs like a sick dog. Anything I can do to get it running faster?

Related:

2 responses

pechkin Posts 2 Registration date Friday June 18, 2010 Status Member Last seen June 18, 2010 1
Jun 18, 2010 at 02:15 PM
First, you need to clean your laptop; use https://www.iobit.com/en/advancedsystemcarefree.php (free version).
In "options" uncheck "Execute at Windows Startup", otherwise it would run in background. You can try "Utilities" there to improve memory efficiency.
Thanks you Rock! works better
mrrigga Posts 196 Registration date Wednesday May 5, 2010 Status Contributor Last seen July 14, 2010 119
Jun 18, 2010 at 02:52 PM
Hi MisstT
There are many things you could do.
First click on my computer right click Local disK select properties. There you will see how much disk space you are using. Select disk clean up and tick the boxes when it has finished calculating and continue with clean when asked.
Back in properties select tools then defragment and defrag Local Disk. Again in tools click Error check you can run both Automatically fix file system errors will not start until you reboot.
Next go Start-control panel-Add and Remove and remove all hardware files you don't need.
In My documents delete all files you do not need or download them onto a CD/DVD/Flash Drive/External Hard Drive anything like this. Music/Videos/Photos take up a lot of space on your hard drive.
You also need to download all critical updates from Microsoft which I am sure you have not done in a while. You will find Windows Update in Start- All Programs.
Make sure you anti-virus is up to date and do regular scans and if you have a Malware/Spyware Program do the same.
Now your computer should be pretty clean.
You can also add more memory (PC2100 DDR SDRAM) if you so wished. You need to check your manual to see how much memory you can run. If I am correct your computer is installed with 256GB so you could add another 256GB I think that is the maximum which is not a lot for Windows XP of today.
Anyway good luck hope this helps