Xp stopped recognizing free agent hd

Closed
dave - Jun 25, 2010 at 11:30 AM
toubib32 Posts 91 Registration date Tuesday June 22, 2010 Status Member Last seen July 17, 2010 - Jun 26, 2010 at 12:56 AM
Hello,

I have a 250 gb free agent hard drive running off my xp laptop that just stopped being recognized all of a sudden. It has All my music on it. When i plug it in the light comes on and i can here it whirring, but when i try to listen to a song it says to locate it and it seams like there is no drive there at all. My computer does not show it whatsoever..
HELP!!

Related:

2 responses

toubib32 Posts 91 Registration date Tuesday June 22, 2010 Status Member Last seen July 17, 2010 4
Jun 25, 2010 at 12:29 PM
Hello,
Please tell me more about your External hard drive and your laptop: Age? model?
How do you connect them?
Laptop is about 3 yrs old running xp home edition and the hdd is a seagate free agent go 250gb that I've had for about a yr or so now.. All has been working properly up till now.
toubib32 Posts 91 Registration date Tuesday June 22, 2010 Status Member Last seen July 17, 2010 4
Jun 26, 2010 at 12:56 AM
Hello,
1) Disconnect any other usb device from your laptop. Connect the freeagent using the two usb connectors on the laptop. If doesn't work use other USB ports, other USB cable or better to another computer if possible and check if it's working
2) Check if the Seagate service is running on your laptop:
Right-click on the My Computer icon>>>> Manage>>>> click Services and Applications>>> Open the Services area>>>> look for Seagate Service in the list
It should display Started in the Status column. If it does not, right-click on the service, choose properties>>> General tab>>then select start and automatically
>>Reboot computer and verify if the service is started
3) Check disk manager:
Right-click on the My Computer icon>>>> Manage>>Disk management>>> Check if freeagent HD is present, healthy, have a drive letter, shows the right total and free space and the right format
4) Check the device manager:
Right-click on the My Computer icon>>> Properties>>Hardware>>>Device manger>>>Check if there is a green or red ! or ?
Check if your seagate HD information is showing in disk devices
If yes right click on it and select properties and check if it's working properly
If not check for unknown device in other devices, right click, properties and check for error code 10 or 28
Please tell me what are the results of this check up!
Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.
Marcus Tullius Cicero