Reinstalling Windows XP

Closed
FCUK_DELL - Dec 2, 2008 at 07:25 PM
 nickos - Dec 3, 2008 at 05:13 PM
Hello,

I have a problem. I recently got a virus on my computer from watching TV shows online (not downloading, just using sites like megavideo), or so I think.

It's a red circle near the time, on the lower right corner of the screen, with a white X on it. Basically, a bubble pops up every 10 seconds telling me that I have a virus and it re-routs my google searches to weird sites. It's annoying as hell and I don't hate the patience to try to figure out how to get rid of it.

I decided to reinstall Windows XP on my computer and get rid of it that way. When I try to reinstal though and try to boot from disk, the screen goes completely blank. The blank screen problem has occured a couple of days after I got the virus. I'm not sure if the cause is the virus or my crappy dell laptop. I have an extended warranty so if it is the lap top maybe they can fix it?

If not, is there any possible way I can bypass the blank screen, reinstall Windows XP and get rid off this stupid virus?
Related:

1 response

Dude I would maybe get in contact with Dell, there customer support is good as i use to have a Dell and had no problems, see what they say,sure they will have a solution.

Have you tried running any anti-virus software? There are some decent free to use programs, try going onto www.download.com Im curently using AVG antivirus which again is free,its kept my computer in good condition,it's found virus's that norton couldn't. I must stress if you already have a anti-virus program on your system and you download avg you must delete the one that is running on your laptop at the moment,as running two antivirus programs will crash your system in some way. May also be worth looking for some anti-spyware programs, which also you can find on that site I mentioned earlier...ad-aware and spydoctor are good,there are others aswell
Good luck anyway.....nickos