Multiplying explorer

Closed
mike - Dec 6, 2008 at 12:04 PM
TheParoxysm Posts 169 Registration date Sunday December 7, 2008 Status Member Last seen March 25, 2011 - Dec 7, 2008 at 11:32 PM
Hello,
.,po
I am haviing problems with multiple explorer browsers opening with advertisement while on line one opens up every 5 minutes. my pop up blocker is on, I have run a virus scan, spyware scan all negative. When I am not using the computer new ones keep opening but at a slower rate aproximately 30 minutes (guess)
What else can I check?
Thanks
Related:

1 response

TheParoxysm Posts 169 Registration date Sunday December 7, 2008 Status Member Last seen March 25, 2011 74
Dec 7, 2008 at 11:32 PM
This is Adware.

Anti-spyware traditionally won't catch it, and some anti-adware won't catch it either!

Best thing you can do is either a) Install Ad-Aware which is a completely free (free as in speech and free as in beer.) solution and make sure it's definitions are up to date, then scan your computer with not a smart scan but a full scan.

or b) Use the Task Manager (ctrl-alt-delete) to find the process that is causing the popups. Be careful to NOT "End Process" any processes you aren't 100% positive of. While no permanent damage is done, you might cause errors and have to restart your computer if you end anything.

While in there, click on the Processes tab, and look down the list. You can search your computer for those processess (which are file names or executable names.) when you find ones that belong to the ad software (usually the name gives them away, or the name of the folder they are in.) you can select that process in your task manager and end it, then delete the physical file.

Good luck and if the problem persists, feel free to message me.