Wireless routers?

Solved/Closed
msfts73 Posts 4 Registration date Monday December 8, 2008 Status Member Last seen December 11, 2008 - Dec 10, 2008 at 10:51 AM
TheParoxysm Posts 169 Registration date Sunday December 7, 2008 Status Member Last seen March 25, 2011 - Dec 11, 2008 at 02:34 AM
Hello,
CNet CWD-854 Wireless-G 54Mbps USB Adapter
$19.88

I found this item at walmart when I searched for wireless routers, it was the cheapest one, it also looks different than all the other items, if I buy this item will I be able to use my dads existing internet service to surf the net with my lap top, and if so is this (and my d-link wireless) card all I need to set up an iternet signal between his PC and my lap top?

thank you for all responses, very helpful!

NEVERMIND, not sure what this item is for, not a router though! I'm learning! I did find a router
BRAND NEW! Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router WRT54G
found this on e-bay if I buy this is it all I need to buy to set up internet on laptop? Or is there a certain kind I need, or recomended? Some were ten dollars others hundreds of dollars and they all looked the same, I don't want to get stuck with item I can't use. Or that takes a lot of work!

2 responses

TheParoxysm Posts 169 Registration date Sunday December 7, 2008 Status Member Last seen March 25, 2011 74
Dec 10, 2008 at 11:26 AM
Well, you're right the original item is not a wireless router, but a wireless adapter. It's made to recieve wireless signal for your computer.

The wireless router you mentioned is a good one, as long as it's in good condition. Try to find out why they are selling it so you don't get stuck with a bad one. My suggestion? Go to best buy or walmart and look for one that's 30-ish bucks. I use ebay alot but there are some things I won't buy off ebay, primarily network components ("it got broke in shipping I guess" etc).

msfts73 Posts 4 Registration date Monday December 8, 2008 Status Member Last seen December 11, 2008
Dec 10, 2008 at 12:20 PM
Cool, i'm on my way to curcuit city to buy my router! one last question, when setting up my network how important is it to secure my signal, it's not like I have top secret documents (except for the ones labled "grassy knoll", oh and my "roswell vacation" files, but those are just some old vacation pictures no one would be into!) Other than that online banking is the only info I wouldn't want jepordized. How unsafe is it to leave my network open for neighbors to use?
TheParoxysm Posts 169 Registration date Sunday December 7, 2008 Status Member Last seen March 25, 2011 74 > msfts73 Posts 4 Registration date Monday December 8, 2008 Status Member Last seen December 11, 2008
Dec 10, 2008 at 06:05 PM
Well, if you want to get lazy with it, you can leave it open but turn on the router's mac address filtering. You then just input the mac addresses of computer you want to allow on your network and others are denied.

But as far as security goes, considering your everyday person can barely browse, I'd say you're relatively safe. What I would realistically worry about is that someone will use up all your internet bandwidth, making surfing, etc slow to a crawl for you, the owner!

But neither are extremely likely and you can monitor both.
msfts73 Posts 4 Registration date Monday December 8, 2008 Status Member Last seen December 11, 2008 > TheParoxysm Posts 169 Registration date Sunday December 7, 2008 Status Member Last seen March 25, 2011
Dec 11, 2008 at 01:52 AM
Cool, i am replying thru the net! From my laptop! It was very easy, i only had one problem, thru my windows settings i created my network, assigned a keycode and name, when i turned on my lap top and put my wireless card in and started seaching for an open network mine came up, i clicked on and it said it had security lock i put in my key code and i was on the net, however on my main pc a warning keeps coming up from the trial software i installed that came with my router saying my signal is not secure. What does this mean and how do i secure it?
TheParoxysm Posts 169 Registration date Sunday December 7, 2008 Status Member Last seen March 25, 2011 74
Dec 11, 2008 at 02:34 AM
If you entered a password in order to secure it, then your signal is secure, or as relatively secure as it's going to be.

You don't need ANY software to use a router, so I suggest you delete/uninstall that software as it is an attempt to get you to purchase their software.

If you ever have problems, and the message is coming from a trial software, be suspicious and try free software. Likely the software is just looking to gain another customer.