System reading 2Gb of memory with 3Gb

Solved/Closed
Herman - Aug 11, 2010 at 04:17 PM
Foxtrottzg Posts 5 Registration date Thursday August 12, 2010 Status Member Last seen August 12, 2010 - Aug 12, 2010 at 03:49 PM
Hello,

I am wondering if anyone could help me. I have installed 3GB in my system but only 2GB are seen by the system. Could this be a Bios issue by the vendor or a hardware limitation? The Bios shows 2GB in one slot and 1GB in the other, but on 2GB in total. I am running Windows Vista 32 bit so it should use the memory. Any help would be be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Herman
Related:

5 responses

Blocked Profile
Aug 12, 2010 at 05:39 AM
Dear Herman,

Please exact the exact capacity amount so that we get to see into the matter. If it shows only 2 GB of memory, it might be that you have been sold a fake product.

Thanks in advance.
Hi King.mac56,

Thanks for the response. I did think it might have been a defective Dimm, so I removed the second Dimm and only left the 2GB dimm. When I looked at the system BIOS and system, it states 2GB. I also downloaded at tool called CPU-Z. When this tool looks at the memory, it states 3GB. Will the system use the 3GB of physical memory even if the BIOS only reports 2GB? I don't know if windows doesn't care what the bios reports and still uses the physical memory.

Thanks again,

Herman
Foxtrottzg Posts 5 Registration date Thursday August 12, 2010 Status Member Last seen August 12, 2010 1
Aug 12, 2010 at 03:16 PM
maybe bios upgrade? the same speed memory?
I think this must be a chipset issue and the vendor who sold me the memory is wrong and it can't support 4GB. Thank you for the support,

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
Foxtrottzg Posts 5 Registration date Thursday August 12, 2010 Status Member Last seen August 12, 2010 1
Aug 12, 2010 at 03:49 PM
how many You have memory slots? if only 2 try disable dual channels if 4 insert dimm's in diferent colour socket , get the latest bios