PCI Flash memory driver, Bluesceens, freeze

Solved/Closed
bengu89 Posts 8 Registration date Friday August 13, 2010 Status Member Last seen August 14, 2010 - Aug 13, 2010 at 07:32 AM
jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020 - Feb 13, 2011 at 08:56 AM
I've been having some really big problems with my notebook lately. Bluescreens, pc freeze, etc. Now, I am a bit of an advanced PC user, but I'm really struggling to find a solution for this.

I've gone through the drivers and I can find tree with the same name: "PCI Flash memory." All three have a yellow triangle. So I know I need the Cardbus driver from Acer's website, but after installing it, the computer crashed, bluesceen popped up, and my life just got a bit harder. Restarting, the PCI flash memory drivers were still yellow, but the installation had fu*ked up my Wireless driver, forcing me to reinstall the Wireless.

The crashes and computer freezes usually happens when I am online, so I thought it may have been the Wireless driver. I updated it, and now it doesn't crash that often, but still several times a day.

The computer also lags at times (sometimes freezes) while watching online video clips from youtube or similar, and sometimes when I watch films with VLC/Windows media player.

Notebook Acer Aspire 5100
I've recently reinstalled the Notebook from a Vista Home 32 to ultimate 64. Drivers has been downloaded and installed from:
Acer's service and support site.
Bluescreens I've noted:
SCSIPORT.sys (Newest)
ATHRX.sys (There was one solution that said renaming it to: ATHRX.old.sys would fix the bluesceen. It has, but just don't think that is the right way.)

Please help me fix this. I can't do any work on the pc as it keeps giving me bluescreens

One of the bluescreens gave me this code:
0x0000001A (0x0000000000005003, 0xFFFFF90000812000, 0x0000000000004BDB, 0x00004BD9000097B2)
The reason behind the bluescreens seems to change quite often.

Related:

14 responses

Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,168
Aug 13, 2010 at 04:59 PM
Hello,

What is the blue screen error code you are getting?
bengu89 Posts 8 Registration date Friday August 13, 2010 Status Member Last seen August 14, 2010
Aug 13, 2010 at 06:39 PM
I'll make sure to note the error code next time it happens! Doubt it'll take long before I got a code...
bengu89 Posts 8 Registration date Friday August 13, 2010 Status Member Last seen August 14, 2010
Aug 14, 2010 at 05:58 AM
Main post has been updated with the latest bluescreen code
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,168
Aug 14, 2010 at 06:23 AM
Hello Bengu or do you prefer I call you 89,

The main error code 0x0000001A, will not surprise you indicates a memory management or hardware problem.

According to my sources, the solutions given are:

1. If you have installed new hardware, is must be uninstalled.

2. The ram sticks may have been damaged, ensure they are well clipped into their respective proper slots, if needed, they must be removed and cleaned.

3. You can try removing one stick at a time and reboot. If the problem does not occur, replace the defective stick.

That is all I got

Good luck

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
Aug 14, 2010 at 07:26 AM
hehe, I would go for Bengu.

I actually think my ram have been damaged. The laptop can get too warm at times.

Thank you
Aug 14, 2010 at 07:41 AM
So Bengu it is.

Please keep in mind that the diagnostic for the code is from my reliable data base. However after your repair your ram, you may experience another blue screen. If such is the case, you may post the code, in a different thread and we will see if we can solve the issue.

Farewell
I have this problem very irregular:
STOP 0x0000001a (0x0000000000005003, 0xfffff90000812000, 0x00000000000020c7, 0xfffff900c3974a09).

(Blue screen)

it suggests my ram is bad; but when testing (thouroughly) with memtest it always comes thru without any errors...

I guess my disk is going bad; because last time i had this error my system partition was suddenly gone... i could recover some data with specialized tools (happily i don't use the default folders for my %userprofile% and was that data on another disk)

but the S.M.A.R.T status says nothings's wrong with the disk either (although this disk is a repaired disk already; it's a Hitachi 500 GB sata2 disk... and the original one went dead after half a year after having had several 'clicks' during normal use...

Now the repaired disk didn't have a single click so far; but it's giving me these memory managment errors though; so i'm guessing the cachememory on the harddrive is prone to errors...

If my ram (DDR2) should go bad though, then i'm in trouble, because it's memory from a company i just heard that's going to stop with making ram; even though they gave me 10 years of warrranty when i bought it...

sorry for bumping this topic; but i just had to reinstall my windows 7 (x64) and after only one day i already had my first bsod with this error... it seems that the errors are become more and more regular :(
but i'm still looking on how i could test the disks memory... DFT (diskfitnesstest from IBM/Hitachi didn't help me anyways)
Jan 31, 2011 at 05:15 AM
Hello Bogy

The 0x0000001a error code is definately a RAM problem. The sticks must either be removed and replaced. It may ne just onr stick. Try using just one at a time to find which one is defective.

Good luck
that's just the thing... testing with memtest (for a whole night) gave not a single error ...
Feb 2, 2011 at 05:54 AM
I assume that you tested the sticks on another machine?

The slots must be compatible with DDR2, has you may know there DDR, DDR2 and now DDR3.

Are the slots free from dust, lint and oxydation?

There is no doubt in my mind, because of the error code, that the issue resides either with the sticks or the motherboard's slots or connection thereof.
no, i tested the dimm's on the same machine off course..

and it's not that i get this error very often ...

it's like ... once in two weeks... sometimes once in a month... one time i had it twice a day ...

but for now; i'm almost a full week without the error

oh, and in case you would think; i didn't Overclock anything; i don't like that becuase it just tears your stuff broken very fast and i want to use my pc for a while...

the ram was quite expensive though; and eventhough it's specially for overclocking (handpicked), i never used it for that; i just thought that it would be better for when i upgraded my cpu, so that it would be able to get the higher mhz's ... (as it does)

(I'm using OCZ Reaper memory @ 1066 dual channel (5.5.5.15)
Feb 3, 2011 at 04:29 PM
Dear Bogy,

The though that you would overlock never crossed my mind.

As you say the problem occurs now and then. It's typical of faulty material. Sometimes the car starts sometimes it doen't, depending on the conditions.

Have you done the clean-up? Have you look for oxydation ? Have you noted what you were doing and how long you were doing it when the problem occurs.

I know that sticks are expensive. Try my clean-up suggestions of both sticks and slots. If the problem occurs again, my advice is to change the sticks or to be sure, see your a local, friendly neighbourhood technician.

Good luck
that's the thing...

i really know what i'm doing ... I'm a pc technician myself (having a company in pc repairs since 2004)

i can't really look for oxydation ... the sticks are covered (look at this url for the sticks https://ssd.toshiba-memory.com/ )

as you'll read i have lifetime warranty on them ... and they should clock up to 1150 mhz but they've always been running at a cool and smooth 1066 mhz (fsb:mem 5:8) without any troubles ...

also, when i composed my current pc i especially took care to buy a motherboard without normal capacitors, because i had problems with those the last 2 motherboards i had before this one (being amd systems instead of intel)

I already cleared my system of dust; although there wasn't much to discover (i have dustfilters @ my intake fans which stop most of that problem)

also the error happens in very different occasions... one time i had my pc running for 3 days and had it been using extensively with memory-eaters like adobe premiere; and when everything was ready and was closed down and i just opened notepad it crashed.. the other time i just had my pc booted and was typing in Windows Live Messenger and my system went down...

Then again; i already tested the sticks; both with windows 7 memory test as with Memtest86 (bootcd) and no problems came up at all.. to be sure i also tested them in my repair-pc (the one i use to take backups from my customers' disks, scan their disks for virusses and so forth) and that pc also told me that the memory is 100% ok.

Now i'm starting to think it could be the motherboard??? although it an gigabyte with so called 'ultra durable 3' technology ... i'm going crazy if i have to change my motherboard; so much work and without even considering it would mean another reinstall of my win7 Pro ...
Feb 5, 2011 at 05:23 AM
Awfully unusual considering the problem occurs sporadically, that is the question to answer. I assume that this is the only computer you have built to which it happens?

If I were in your position, I would ask myself if it is a case of sensitivity to power fluctuations which drained the ram.

Is it possible for you to test with at least one stick from another machine or one you can borrow?

I am also beginning to think that it just may be a motherboard weakness, the fact that you had just booted and the system went down is an indication towards that direction, for there is not other reason for which you would get a 0x0000001a at that time it should have happened at bootime. I hope I'm wrong.

What is your opinion?

I will ask my good friend jack4all to have a look at this thread to see if he has any idea. Jack is a wizz.
jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020
Feb 5, 2011 at 11:27 AM
Hello,

Try this 1

1) First try running "Registry Cleaner".

2) If the problem still exits then remove the RAM's from the slots and just place

only one RAM in the slot. Now check if your able to use your OS without any

problem. If any error occurred then change the slot. If the problem still exits then

follow the given instructions once again by swapping your RAM.

3) If the problem still exits then if you have a Live CD, try running that Live

CD. If the problem is coming from the motherboard then you may face some

problem in getting into the Live OS or when using the Live OS.

Good Luck
i can run any live OS without any problems...

i am running a full week without any problems now too ..; (with both dimms in my system)

as i told before jack; i get this STOP from time to time, but not often at all...
sometimes ones in a week, sometimes once in a month, sometimes two days after each other (followed by weeks of no errors)

but one of my last times my MFT (and backup MFT) from my boot disk got corrupted and i had to reinstall because of such a crash ... so i really want to end this now and find the source of it...

it's a fresh win7 install; so running registry cleaner won't help me i guess ... (as there is no 'leftover' from uninstallations or whatsoever)

i've been running memtest86 for a whole night with both dimms; no errors
i've had the windows 7 memory test; no errors

btw; i've been trying to recover as much as possible from my 'lost' partition (it went from ntfs to RAW with a MiniXP disk & with a Linux Live cd (needed multiple utilities to rebuild MFT and so on)

it's mad that WER (windows error reporting) didn't say anything more than just the STOP code...
jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020
Feb 6, 2011 at 05:51 AM
Hello,
Go to C:\Windows and look for a minidump folder --> zip that folder and upload it to the site https://authentification.site and paste the download url.

To recover the data from the RAW, try the below instructions
Click on the below link and download the application
http://www.powerdatarecovery.com/download/pdr6free.exe
After launching the application, check the check box "I am a home user, please launch MiniTool Power Data Recovery Free Edition" and then click on "Launch Power Data Free Edition" button --> Click on "Damaged Partition Recovery" --> Select a partition/volume you like to recover from the partition list --> Click on "Full Scan". It will try to recover the files.
Good Luck
don't mind about the recovery; i'm already long long past that time and I do know how to recover data myself (i stated that i rebuilt the full MFT with multiple tools), so please stay on topic.

here is the minidump (not zipped; not needed)
https://authentification.site/files/26763074/013011-38376-01.dmp
don't mind about the recovery; i'm already long long past that time and I do know how to recover data myself (i stated that i rebuilt the full MFT with multiple tools), so please stay on topic.

here is the minidump (not zipped; not needed)
https://authentification.site/files/26763074/013011-38376-01.dmp

I hope you can give me some extra info with this dumpfile available
Feb 13, 2011 at 08:56 AM
Hello,
Thank you for the minidump file and sorry for the late reply.
1) Go to BIOS and load default settings --> Look for the option "turbo mode" and disable it.
If the problem still exists then
Even if the memory however tests OK the problem may still with with the memory or with the slot.
Remove the RAM's from the slot and clean the DIMM's slot to make sure that there is no dust.
Place only one RAM in any slot and try running your PC. If the BSOD screen appears then
place that RAM in the another slot.
Good Luck