Isass.exe error

Closed
Cindy - Dec 13, 2008 at 09:59 PM
 lilswish0 - Feb 13, 2009 at 10:42 PM
Hello,
When I start my computer I get this Isass.exe error and tried F8, safe mode, and nothing. I can't get anything but a black screen with safe mode in all four corners....this is my laptop. I'm sending these messages from my desktop computer. PLEASE HELP!!!!!
Related:

2 responses

Hi! I'm having the SAME EXACT problem! I get to the 'safe mode' but it just shows k'safe mode' in all four corners and it still gives me the "error pop-up" Have you found a solution to the problem, yet? Ctrl+Alt+Delete doesn't do anything and I just have a black screen! Anything you've found that would help would be AWESOME! Thanks!
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Dec 13, 2008 at 10:23 PM
Is the laptop running Windows XP?

If so, I believe you have been infected by the Sasser Virus that comes through a networking vulnerability in XP, which should be eliminated by SP2.

Here is my attempt at a step by step. Boot into safe mode

0. Try CTRL ALT DEL, then click Task Manager. Click File. then New Task (Run). In the Open box, type: explorer.exe then click OK. If that gets you access to your desktop, next step is to figure out the problems cause.

1. Turn off system restore. This will wipe out your old restore points, but otherwise your risk not cleaning it from those older files and potentially re-infecting yourself.

2. Get a standalone cleaner like Stinger - from McAfee.com and free. When I mean standalone, I mean an app which can run in safe mode because it doesn't rely on dlls that don't start up in safe mode. I put stinger on a CD for this purpose.

3. Boot into safe mode(no networking) and clean with Stinger.

4. Reboot, run your virus and spyware checkers just to be safe.

5. Re check your updates to ensure you have them all.

Good luck.