Destop icons and task bar not showing

Closed
star no1 Posts 1 Registration date Saturday August 21, 2010 Status Member Last seen August 21, 2010 - Aug 21, 2010 at 08:15 AM
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 - Aug 21, 2010 at 04:29 PM
Hello
my desktop icons and task bar have just disappeared and i can't do anything besides ctrl+alt+del. so im assuming ive got a virus and i need to reboot my comp

so i tried logging on in safe mode but still no luck.
if someone could please give me any more options that will not cause me to lose all my files because im totally stuck and have no clue what to do.

thank you

Related:

1 response

Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,171
Aug 21, 2010 at 04:29 PM
Greetings Star

This should get back your desk top but it will not remove the virus:

A program called explorer.exe controls the display of your taskbar and desktop icons. If for some reason it goes missing (you may have killed it using Task Manager, for example, or something more sinister like a virus has deleted it from your processes), then try this first:

1. Open Task Manager (press Ctrl+Alt+Del, then click Task Manager).
2. On the Applications tab, click New Task at the bottom right of the window.
3. Type explorer.exe, then click OK.

If nothing sinister caused it to disappear, it should all come back as it was and you can stop panicking, breathe a sigh of relief, and continue working.

If that doesn't work, then try this:

1. Open Task Manager (press Ctrl+Alt+Del, then click Task Manager).
2. Go to the Processes tab.
3. Click on the Image Name column header to sort the list alphabetically.
4. Find all explorer.exe processes -- select each, then click End Process for each one.
5. On the Applications tab, click New Task at the bottom right of the window.
6. Type explorer.exe, then click OK.

Good Luck