Deleted lower filter registry, can't boot

Closed
rockleesama Posts 3 Registration date Saturday September 4, 2010 Status Member Last seen September 6, 2010 - Sep 4, 2010 at 09:38 PM
Trumpetmanw Posts 1 Registration date Sunday December 29, 2013 Status Member Last seen December 29, 2013 - Dec 29, 2013 at 11:17 PM
Oh boy,

So I made a major mistake when trying to fix my CD drive. I read a few steps on how to fix windows from not recognizing your CD drive and read about deleting the registry entry:4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318 for lower and upper filters. Like a bimbo, I did not find the lower and upper filters in 4D36E965 but I did find it in 4D36E967 I think. Whatever it was, I noticed that one of the entries was entitled disk drives (rather than CD/DVD ROM). I didn't think it was a huge deal if I deleted the upper filter listed in this section because I had system restores, but now my windows won't boot.

I get a microsoft boot fixer come up that runs a long scan, tells me it cannot fix it and that it is something hardware related (if I recently installed any new hardware or usb devices, remove them and restart). I cannot system restore (it says I have no restore points) and cannot do much of anything. I do not have a 7 boot disc here (can get one from a friend), but my CD drive was not working to begin with so I am not sure how I can fix this problem.

I am running Windows 7 on a HP Pavilion laptop (dv2000 series). Please let me know if there is anything short of bringing it in to a repair shop that I can do to fix my computer!

Thanks in advance

Additional information:
After the startup repair runs it tells me in the repair details:

Unspecified changes to system configuration might have caused the problem.

Repair action: system files integrity check and repair
Result: failure. Error code = 0x490
time taken = 822796 ms

1 response

Blocked Profile
Sep 5, 2010 at 01:40 AM
Hi there,

If the laptop is new ill suggest you to return it to the service center and let them fix the cd drive issue as it seems to be a bad cd drive on system,that is a hardware issue,if you do not have warranty on it then purchase and replace the cd drive for which you need to remove only one screw from the bottom of laptop and pull the cd drive and insert new one.

Thanks
rockleesama Posts 3 Registration date Saturday September 4, 2010 Status Member Last seen September 6, 2010
Sep 5, 2010 at 12:41 PM
It is about 2 years old so the warranty is up. There is still power to the CD drive, it just was not showing up when I would go to my computer/not boot any music or movies off of the discs. My biggest issue right now is getting back into windows as nothing will boot.

I was digging around more online and I found something about saving windows 7 recovery to a USB drive and booting from there. Does anyone know if this will work or if this is enough to fix a registry error?
Trumpetmanw Posts 1 Registration date Sunday December 29, 2013 Status Member Last seen December 29, 2013
Dec 29, 2013 at 11:17 PM
I have the exact problem, cannot believe I did this, how did you fix it if you don't mind me asking.