It may happen that you need to enter a text whose first letter begins with an accented uppercase letter, for example, if you write in the French language. There are several solutions for Windows, Mac, Android and iOS keyboards.
How to type accented uppercase letter via Copy and Paste option?
The easiest solution, is to find a text containing such accented characters and make a copy/paste. Below the main accented letters used in the French language:
À Á Â Ä Å Ã Æ Ç É È Ê Ë Í Ì Î Ï Ñ Ó Ò Ô Ö Ø Õ OE Ú Ù Û Ü Ý Y
How to use a key combination on Windows?
You can also enter accented uppercase letters using the Alt key in combination with a corresponding Unicode value. Here are the codes for the main accented letters:
- Á = alt + 181
- Â = alt + 182
- À = alt + 183
- Ã = alt + 199
- Ç = alt + 128
- È = alt + 212
- É = alt + 144
- Ë = alt + 211
- Ê = alt + 210
- Ñ = alt + 165
- Ö = alt + 153
- Ú = alt + 233
- Û = alt + 234
- Ù = alt + 235
- Ü = alt 154
How to type accented uppercase letters using the character map?
The last solution is to use the Windows character table.
- Start > Accessories > Command Prompt
- Then enter the following command:
How to type accented letters on Mac keyboard?
To use the keyboard shortcuts, hold down the Option key, press the second key, and release both before typing the vowel. Hold down the Shift key when typing the uppercase letter. The symbol "V" below means any vowel.
- Acute = Option+E, V. Example: ó Ó.
- Circumflex = Option+I, V. Example: ô Ô.
- Grave = Option+`, V. Example: ò Ò.
- Tilde = Option+N, V. Example: õ Õ. Works only with "n,N,o,O,a,A".
- Umlaut = Option+U, V. Example: ö Ö.
How to type accented uppercase letters on Android and iOS?
- Tap and hold on a letter to view a list of accented characters: