What's the difference?

Solved/Closed
saymer Posts 2 Registration date Friday December 19, 2008 Status Member Last seen December 19, 2008 - Dec 19, 2008 at 09:35 PM
saymer Posts 2 Registration date Friday December 19, 2008 Status Member Last seen December 19, 2008 - Dec 19, 2008 at 11:47 PM
Hello,
can somone tell me whats the difference between: Total Available Graphics Memory
Dedicated Video Memory
System Video Memory
and Shared System Memory
thnx
regars,

2 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Dec 19, 2008 at 11:43 PM
For systems with on-board video:
shared video memory is the memory the video adapter takes from system memory (a bad thing)
dedicated video memory real video only memory added to the motherboard (a good thing)

For vista: The OS has it's own way of using and measuring video memory:

I was using Vista 32bit with 2Gb of ram. My system was sharing 756Mb of my ram to Video and with some lazy research I found that 64bit Vista would allow for more ram to be used...so I upgraded to 64bit and bought another 2Gb of ram (4Gb total). Now my shared memory is 1780Mb. I nearly threw the PC out of the window. Well, forums all over say a million different things so I swallowed my pride and readied my Visa and called Microsoft Technical Support. (it ended up not costing me)

Vista does share a large chunk of your system memory for Video Purposes. However, Vista does not work the same way we are used to with on-board video solutions. Shared memory in Vista does not mean the memory is gone purely to video. In fact, it is hardly ever used for video purposes unless you do a lot of modeling, rendering, or play games at extremely high settings. (or just have a very low end video card) The memory is primarily still used for every day computer usage which is why you do not notice any slowdown on your system, and if you have, it's highly unlikely that it is because your memory is being shared. I wish I could explain it better but if this doesn't ease your concerns you can always call them...they seem to love talking about how wonderful they're memory design is.
saymer Posts 2 Registration date Friday December 19, 2008 Status Member Last seen December 19, 2008
Dec 19, 2008 at 11:47 PM
thnx dude
cheers