No network connection after malware attack

Closed
ahiromu Posts 2 Registration date Friday October 1, 2010 Status Member Last seen October 1, 2010 - Oct 1, 2010 at 12:13 AM
Gervarod Posts 306 Registration date Saturday March 27, 2010 Status Member Last seen June 8, 2014 - Oct 1, 2010 at 11:53 PM
*Some of this is a copy/paste from techguys.org*

Hello,

System: Windows XP media center edition (I think a special version of home). I have had a lot of problems with malware but malwarebytes/CCleaner/Chkdsk have always been able to speed up my system back to health but not this case.

Last night I was attacked by a bug that attacked my google search engine (didn't bother trying another). It would redirect me after a search, always, to some random crappy website that acted like a search engine. Therefore I jumped directly into safe mode to run malwarebytes... but it didn't work. I safely got into safe mode but malwarebytes wouldn't open - I installed/uninstalled but nothing would happen when I doubled clicked the .exe. I searched around the internet on another computer and eventually just changed the name of the .exe - ran it - and it worked getting rid of three things:

Two of these: Trojan.DNSChanger - In the registry (too long, if needed I can give the whole thing it's in my mbytes logs file)
C:/Docs/Aaron's/Localsettings/Temp/pdfupd.exe (Trojan.Agent.Gen) - File directory, shortened

I then proceeded to make my grand mistake (I think) - I used a program that I have absolutely no experience with: a TDSKiller. I have no idea what this does but it was recommended as a "fix" to my problem of not opening mbytes and I decided to run this on top of everything. It worked fine and dandy and just to top things off I decided to run a chkdsk c: /R. So after a few hours of that I turned my computer on and am in the current situation:

- Computer starts up kind of slowly, it pauses at the screen that says "Welcome" when the windows startup music plays. It stays here for about 45 seconds then officially opens up windows. This isn't really something I care about, but it might be part of the bigger problem so that's why I'm mentioning it. Same thing with safe mode, it got stuck at the screen right after I logged in (I don't log into windows normally but safe mode has always made me log into administrator w/o a PW).
- There is no internet connection. I have a bandwidth meter that has always worked and I see absolutely no information running through it (When I open firefox it says Server not found). An interesting thing to note is that the light next to my ethernet jack flashes and when I pull it I am actually notified that my network cable is unplugged - although I am never notified that it's plugged back in and am perpetually stuck with the little two monitors with an X in the bottom right. The internet does not work in safe mode either.
- Videos, malwarebytes, even games are working.
- Malwarebytes sees nothing wrong now and Ccleaner has a few problems with my startup menu but that's it.

TDS Killer: http://support.kaspersky.com/viruses...?qid=208280684

In the end I have two problems:
1. Internet doesn't work, but everything else does. (Biggest problem)
2. Startup takes forever, stalling at the "welcome" screen after the opening music (least concern since everything else works)

tl;dr
- My internet connection is no longer working after sparring off with a bit of spyware. I ran a TDS killer.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated - Thank you.

After this I have ran winsockfix and reset my BIOS to default.

I have tried moving the ethernet that's in my desktop to my laptop and it works (Not a problem with modem>router>ethernet)

I have installed/reinstalled my network adapter.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
Related:

2 responses

Gervarod Posts 306 Registration date Saturday March 27, 2010 Status Member Last seen June 8, 2014 21
Oct 1, 2010 at 08:48 AM
Hello, ahiromu

My name is Gervarod.

with your internet on the task bar is two internet screens light up at all to say your connected or is it just 2 black screen with no little globe on it?

It might be that you have not reconnected your internet by going in the Network and Sharing centre.

let me know if you don't this or not.

regards, Gervarod
ahiromu Posts 2 Registration date Friday October 1, 2010 Status Member Last seen October 1, 2010
Oct 1, 2010 at 02:51 PM
My task bar is an interesting situation. When I turn my computer on I have absolutely nothing network-based pop up on it... but when I unplug my ethernet cord I have two little computers with an X through it. When I try to replug my ethernet cord back in nothing happens. Therefore it's like my computer doesn't even think about it until after it's unplugged...

On the same note: The lights are flashing when I plug my ethernet into my computer and the number on my router is flashing.

Since it seems like English might not be your first language and you can't understand what I wrote: There is absolutely no notification about my network on the task bar (So neither is your answer) until I unplug the ethernet.
Gervarod Posts 306 Registration date Saturday March 27, 2010 Status Member Last seen June 8, 2014 21
Oct 1, 2010 at 11:41 PM
can you try it in safemode with networking? to see if that does anything at all?
Oct 1, 2010 at 11:53 PM
Can you also please give me an Hijackthis scan log file so i can see what's in that then.

http://free.antivirus.com/hijackthis/

thanks let me know how it went then.

Cheers, Gervarod