Explorer.exe

Closed
Paccus - Oct 1, 2010 at 09:27 AM
Gervarod Posts 306 Registration date Saturday March 27, 2010 Status Member Last seen June 8, 2014 - Oct 2, 2010 at 09:14 AM
Hello,

Yesterday i got a trojan virus that(i think) deleted my explorer.exe
I can still open Internet via the taskmanager run menu, although i cant open "run" with the microsoft logo+r keys. i cant open any programs except taskmanager register editor and cmd.exe

Is there a way to solve this problem?

3 responses

Gervarod Posts 306 Registration date Saturday March 27, 2010 Status Member Last seen June 8, 2014 21
Oct 1, 2010 at 09:32 AM
Hello, Paccus can you able to do a system restore and let me know how that worked but do the system restore a few days before you go the trojan horse, if you can and let me know how it went ok.
I cant do a system restore, because i cant open my configuration screen (dont know what it is called in english, im dutch)
Gervarod Posts 306 Registration date Saturday March 27, 2010 Status Member Last seen June 8, 2014 21
Oct 1, 2010 at 10:56 AM
that's ok if your dutch as i'm Australian Then. Can you boot your computer in safemode with networking. to do this please tap on the F8 key until you get to a part saying, Safe Mode, Sfae Mode with Networking and Safe Mode with Command Prompt. please choose Safe Mode with Networking ok. and let me know how that went
also tried that, i just get the same black screen as i get starting up normally
Oct 1, 2010 at 11:03 AM
what is your Computer OS? Vista XP Win7 or Apple?
Vista
By the sounds of it you're kinda stuffed, you can grab an explorer.exe from a version of windows that's identical and copy it back into the computer using a Linux live CD to access the drive (recommend Ubuntu or the one included in Hirens boot CD) but I'd say you're still gonna have issues. Lots of viruses these days are designed to hide in system restore so if system restore is ever accesses the virus/trojan re-activates and you start the whole cycle again. If explorer has been infected then it's likely that other system files have been attacked/damaged as well. Running a virus scanner only tells you what files are infected and either removes the file or malicious code, it doesn't repair the file (so once the damage is done it's done for good).

Best thing you can do is to re-install windows using the disks provided by the manufacturer, although if you can obtain a clean windows disk and have access to all the necessary drivers I'd recommend that for better system performance

Source: I'm an IT technician
By the sounds of it you're kinda stuffed, you can grab an explorer.exe from a version of windows that's identical and copy it back into the computer using a Linux live CD to access the drive (recommend Ubuntu or the one included in Hirens boot CD) but I'd say you're still gonna have issues. Lots of viruses these days are designed to hide in system restore so if system restore is ever accesses the virus/trojan re-activates and you start the whole cycle again. If explorer has been infected then it's likely that other system files have been attacked/damaged as well. Running a virus scanner only tells you what files are infected and either removes the file or malicious code, it doesn't repair the file (so once the damage is done it's done for good).

Best thing you can do is to re-install windows using the disks provided by the manufacturer, although if you can obtain a clean windows disk and have access to all the necessary drivers I'd recommend that for better system performance

Source: I'm an IT technician (heh, originally posted in the wrong spot :P)
Oct 1, 2010 at 11:56 AM
Thank you for that Sgt Moo any time
Re-installing windows will remove all my documents and programs right?
correct, however if you have a large enough external flash drive or external hard drive you will be able to copy/backup all your documents and personal files using the linux live CD. You wont be able to backup any programs though.
What is this linux live CD you're talking about?
Ubuntu, it's the most popular and easy to use distribution of Linux, the lice CD allows you to boot a portable OS off a CD without the need for installation. This gives you access to files on a computer with a broken OS and a web browser as well as basic system utilities