Black screen, nothing works

Closed
ryan w - Nov 11, 2010 at 12:36 PM
hackimist Posts 37 Registration date Thursday October 28, 2010 Status Member Last seen December 28, 2013 - Nov 12, 2010 at 10:59 PM
Hello,

I have a dell desktop that runs windows xp home edition. I have tried every solution I have seen in various threads. Nothing works. When I start the computer, I get an immediate black screen. If I press f8 upon startup, then i am able to get to the 'advanced startup options' yet not one of them works. When i click on one, it goes straight back to black screen and does nothing. i do not have the rebooting cd that came with the computer (computer is fairly old). i know i had a trojan horse on the computer as AVG claimed i did, but AVG said it couldnt remove it for some reason. also, i would regularly get a message that said 'virtual memory is low' but idk if that has any effect on this problem. Please any suggestions?

Related:

1 response

hackimist Posts 37 Registration date Thursday October 28, 2010 Status Member Last seen December 28, 2013 129
Nov 12, 2010 at 10:59 PM
Maybe you best option is to reformat then install another OS. . .

Maybe that trojan horse stuck itself in some important files so that's why you can't delete it

Try this to fix the "virtual memory is low"

* Click Start, then open the Control Panel.
* Click Performance and Maintenance, and then click System.
* Click the Advanced tab.
* Under Performance, click Settings.
* Click the Advanced tab.
* Under Virtual memory, click Change.
* Under Drive [Volume Label], click the drive that contains the paging file (virtual memory) settings that you want to change. In almost every case, this will be your C: drive.
* Click to select the "System managed size" option, then click Set.
* Click OK three times and restart your computer.

GOOd LUCK