Black screen on hp dv6000

Closed
walt - Nov 13, 2010 at 01:44 AM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Nov 13, 2010 at 12:14 PM
Hello, and in advance, thanks for your help.

HP dv6000, which sounds as is a lemon. Have had since '06 and nothing but a hard time. Now black screen. Have tried the f8 and f11 keys. Have recovery discs but they won't reboot the system. If nothing can be done, does this mean I can't retrieve the information from the hard drive? I know a big fat zaro about computers and my kids tell me, dad!

I am not a member and don't know where or how to join and if there is a fee. Does this matter in getting information, please?
Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,827
Nov 13, 2010 at 12:14 PM
Yes the HP dv6000 is a lemon. This computer has had problems with a video chip that over heats and puts stress on the motherboard and/or other parts. The good news is the hard drive can often be removed, put into a external USB drive enclosure and used as an external drive on another computer. You can probably get a PC repair shop to do it for you for under $75. Have them check the hard drive before you buy the adapter.

Before you take it in, I suggest you try this procedure:

1. unplug laptop - remove battery
2. Press in on/off button for 60 seconds
3. plug laptop back into wall and try to start normally

this procedure sometimes re initializes laptops.

Good Luck