Windows XP Pro Documents and Settings Problem

Closed
NoBeginner - Nov 15, 2010 at 03:39 PM
 NoBeginner - Nov 16, 2010 at 05:13 PM
Hello,

For unknown reasons, my C: hard drive would not completely boot. I would get to the Windows screen and the slider would move multiple times and then the system would reboot.

Unfortunately my Documents and Settings were locked so I could not just copy these files over to my new hard drive D:.

Finally, I went into the Documents and Settings of the old drive changed the permissions and they sent the information to my new drive. Problem is, when the Documents and Settings were transferred they made the new drive unbootable.

So ultimately, I had to reinstall windows on the new hard drive, which of course deleted all of the Documents and Settings I had moved from the original drive.

So here is the crux of my question, after moving formerly locked Documents and Settings, are the original files kept anywhere on the old hard drive? Or, is there any software that would restore them?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Related:

2 responses

petemosby Posts 3 Registration date Tuesday November 16, 2010 Status Member Last seen November 16, 2010
Nov 16, 2010 at 03:30 PM
If you have deleted files you can restore them with some special programs but this is only in case the system didn't already used the sectors of the hard drive which have been used for your old file. You won't be able to restore your data if you have formatted your drive while installing your new windows. About programs that can restore deleted files you can check in google. There should be at least one that is free and easy to use. Good Luck
Thank you for the answer regarding restoring deleted files. However, I am not sure that is the case here. Let me try again, I changed the permissions on my Documents and settings folder from Disk 1...when I did that I "believe" (the reason I believe rather than know, is because after the transfer I could not boot the new installation of windows Disk 2...where I believe the old files overwrote the new ones) that the files were transferred from the old hard drive to the new hard drive. When I finally got my second new installation upDisk 3, I tried to once again transfer the D & S folder over from disk one; however now when I look at Disk 1's D&S it says my personal user file is empty.

Does that clarify the problem I am having? I am not sure that the D&S folder files were erased when I transferred them...I suspect that they just had some attribute changed so that they are no longer visible.