Hard drive space being reduced

Closed
Devish21 Posts 14 Registration date Thursday September 18, 2008 Status Member Last seen June 11, 2009 - Dec 29, 2008 at 03:55 AM
wikka Posts 1 Registration date Sunday December 28, 2008 Status Member Last seen December 29, 2008 - Dec 29, 2008 at 06:42 AM
Hi,

I just received a new computer for Christmas which is currently running Windows Vista Home Premium. But I'm having a problem with it, I have noticed that my hard drive space has been continuously being reduced even though I don't install or download anything.

This can't be a virus since I have not connected anything to it! Is there a reason for this? How can I stop this?

Thanks for the help.
Related:

1 response

wikka Posts 1 Registration date Sunday December 28, 2008 Status Member Last seen December 29, 2008
Dec 29, 2008 at 06:42 AM
Hello,

In fact, the System restore and shadow copies will normally take up to 15% of your hard drive space.
To regain this space you could switch off system restore altogether and use a utility such as Acronis True Image for regular backups of your hard drive.
You can also use a command line tool to reduce the amount of drive space that system restore takes.

To do this, Go to
>Start
>All Programs
>Accessories
>Command Prompt
And right-click command prompt.

Choose Run As Administrator, click Continue to accept the UAC prompt, and then type this command:

vssadmin Resize ShadowStorage /For=C: /On=C: /MaxSize=1GB

Press "Enter" to execute the command and type "Exit", and then press Enter again to close the command prompt window.

But remember that whatever figure you choose will reduce the number of restore points available to you.