Attempt to Remove Virus Failed...

Closed
Fatmike1968 - Nov 21, 2010 at 03:41 PM
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 - Nov 23, 2010 at 05:13 AM
Hello,

Hello,

My computer got a some sort of infection in which a pop-up window tried to get me to run a XP antimalware scan. I had got something like this before, so I looked up how to rid my computer of it. The website showed me how to track the file and delete it (vz.exe was it's name). I restarted the computer. Now anytime I go to open an application, it asks me what application I would like to open the application with. I also get the "explorer.exe file not found error" How can I fix this? I can elaborate if needed!

Thank you!

Mike

Related:

5 responses

Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,169
Nov 21, 2010 at 04:28 PM
Greetings Fatmike,

The virus in question has modified registry keys which prevents opening programmes.

For once in my lifetime, Symantec has created a useful tool. Mind you, Symantec in line with its principal, created a tool which will not remove the virus but at least resolve the open with problem.

I could give you directives to modify registry entries but that would require time and in some cases be risky.

So after running the tool, you must download, install, update and run Malwarebyte.

So here are the steps:

1. Download, unzip and run Godzilla Fix:

https://community.broadcom.com/home

2. Download, install, update Malwarebyte and run a FULL (I insist FULL scan)

https://ccm.net/downloads/security-and-maintenance/4621-malwarebytes-anti-malware/

You may be required to reboot during the process.

3. After the scan delete the items found.

Now if none of you comeback to give me some feedback, my spirit will haunt you for etenity and I will cast a spell on your system. I'am serious.

Please let me know the results
Ambucias,

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, when I go to run the file, windows asks which program I would like to open the file with (this is the case with all of my applications too). Being a novice, I don't know which application I need to choose in order to open an exe file. Could you help?

Thanks!

Fatmike
For those who have malware bytes you could get it to work by Right-clicking the mbamgui.exe file in the malware folder and selecting Run as Administrator.
I had the same vz.exe virus. Once I deleted it I did a system restore which solved my problem opening .exe files.
Thanks - this seems like exactly what's going on.

Now for an undoubtedly "novice" question: how do you do a system restore?

Thanks for you time and patience with a noobie
Hey,

I found the file that restores the system, but my computer forces me to choose a program with which to open any file. What should I choose for opening an exe file like the system restore?

Thanks again for the advice!
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,169
Nov 23, 2010 at 04:28 AM
Hello Fatmike

Boot in safemode with networking and try my solution again.

Let me know.

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
Nov 23, 2010 at 05:13 AM
Me again Fatmike

If the safemode boot does not produce any results, please download this file association utility and run it. Works miracles:

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm

Let me know