Playstation 3 won't obtain the IP address [Solved/Closed]

-
Hello, I just got my ps3 back and I have set everything up the way I think it says to but my ps3 won't obtain the IP address. It says "the key information exchange timed out" and won't go any further than that. I don't know if I should use the IP server and if I should then what do I put in? I'm not all that good all this crazy stuff and I need someones help so please I just need to know how to set up a wireless connection
See more 

9 replies

Best answer
Thank you
hi all,
I had the same issue so what I did was the following

before doing this switch off your router for 30 secs and then switch it back on..
  • a) instead of selecting easy choose custom when on connection settings
  • b) scan through and do not make any changes allowing it to select everything automatically
  • c) when going through the connections let it check your DNS server, I.P address automatically

check connection settings and your done

the difference is most people select easy, but in this case you need to select custom and go through the options without making any changes

just a long winded way of doing it but worked for me, it may not work for all off you but worth a try

Say "Thank you" 507

A few words of thanks would be greatly appreciated. Add comment

CCM has helped 2734 users this month

This was a massive help thank you! Totally worked
Thank-you!!
Thank you! I was getting so freakin mad. For the last 2 weeks I haven't been able to get it to connect. It fired right up doing it this way!!!
Thank you
I just had the same thing happen to me. The reason mine was happening was because I installed a uPNP (media link) on my network so my PS3 could stream from my computer. I was able to stream music and videos, but the PS3 wouldn't fail when trying to "obtain the IP address". So you may want to check to see if you have a similar situation where you are getting conflicting issues with the router. I would start with disabling the media server and restart the router.
Thankkkkkkkk youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu veryyyyyyyyyyyyyy muchhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!
-
YOU R FKN AMAZING DISABLE THE uPNP THEN IT WILL WORK :)
ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhh
Just like he said! ty very much
THIS ONE WORKS!!!! Disable uPNP after entering your WPA Key.....BOOOM!!!!
Registration date
Sunday March 29, 2009
Last seen
June 6, 2009
Thank you
hi,
try to reset the connection settings.
try this link to get information about the wireless connection settings:
http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/settings/connectwireless.html
ii need ip adress numbers for to connect from vodefone 3g dongle
Thank you
I had this same problem. I was playing online then all of a sudden boom, no internet. I was still able to pick up my wireless network on the ps3, but I was unable to obtain an ip address. I decided to maybe log in to my router and check the settings there. I had already tried to unplug everything and reconnect with no luck and thought my setting might have changed or reset.

I tried something random and it ended up working like a charm! I changed which channel my router was on. Originally it was on channel 6 and I switched it channel 11. Now my ps3 is up and running at full speed!

Hope this helps!

J
Thank you
I had the same problem for a while, Then I connected through a wired connection through my router, then whilst being still connected I then went back on the setting of the PS3 network and manuly connected to wireless connection, took out the ethernet cable and walla!!!

-!BRaD!-
Thank you
Your router has a CD you might just need to put in and set up wireless internet, also try this I found in a post it these two things solved my problems, "ok all you need to do is to try using WEP as ur security and I bet you it will work I had the same problem using WPA and I think the problem is that sometimes its too high a security setting and the router then blocks the ps3 access. " This was said by a user unworldlyzombie on a playstation answer board. Hope this helps :)
Thank you
everybody just disable upnp
Thank you
hi, if your ps3 is connected to internet through a router then u have to enable DMZ on router for the ip addr of ur ps3....one more important point is that if ur internet service provider is giving a private ip addr i.e. ip addr starting with 192.x.x.x or 172.x.x.x or 10.x.x.x then u wont be able to connect to internet
> kieran -
go to settings and select automatic ip selection if that fails manually put ur ip address in for eg 192.168.1.1 then accept that should work
hey wat u need to do is resetv your ps3.
i have a private ip address starting with 192 and I once connected to it and you said that it wont work with 192, 17?, and 10 but I did once and now it wont connect so I dont know what prob you have but thats wrong
do u no how to connect your vodefone dongle to ps3 and have psn
now it says (80710102)
error
Thank you
you need the LAN cable and the DSL (both) and then it should work