Sound Problem

Closed
Mamacat104 Posts 2 Registration date Tuesday November 23, 2010 Status Member Last seen November 24, 2010 - Nov 23, 2010 at 09:25 AM
jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020 - Nov 25, 2010 at 10:55 AM
Hello,
Good morning
I am using an HP laptop G61-511WM
Sound mfg ATI Technologies Inc
Model ATI High Definition Audio Device
Sound mfg IDT
Model IDT High definition audio codec

Hi,
When I booted the computer this morning, I had sound. After I plugged in the headset I had no sound thru the headset so I unplugged the headset and no longer had sound from the internal speakers.
Rebooted the computer, got the sound working again.. plugged in the headset again..no sound coming through the headset...unplugged headset again...now the computer internal speakers had no sound again...
did another reboot and got the sound back again.
I got a different headset unit and plugged it in this afternoon, works okay...tried a third headset... it's working okay...

but after a few days...once you plug in a headset or external speakers and then unplug them, you lose the sound and have to reboot to get it back. it's crazy. Updaing the Codec drivers, caused a problem and could no longer play any MP3 music. So went back to old drivers. but I can't figure out why I lose the sound after having an external speaker or the headset plugged in and have to reboot to get back. It's crazy.
and you can't get the sound back unless you reboot..or at least that is the only way I've been able to get back. If you go to Control panel, it shows no sound device installed.
So between the time I had sound and lost it, I plugged in a headset or external speakers.

thanks
barbara
Related:

1 response

jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020
Nov 24, 2010 at 11:31 AM
Hello,

Try this 1

Click on the below link. You can find all the instructions.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01916251&tmp_task=solveCategory&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&os=4062&product=4034514&sw_lang=

Good Luck.
Mamacat104 Posts 2 Registration date Tuesday November 23, 2010 Status Member Last seen November 24, 2010
Nov 24, 2010 at 09:09 PM
thanks... I checked link..Not using USB headset...using the jacks in front of laptop... I tired to update the drivers but when I updated driver for codec, I lost the ability to play MP3 music. So had to revert back to the other driver in order to play my MP3 music. This has really been a stumper. When the computer shows no audio device installed, the only way to get back is to reboot.
my computer is being mean to me...
thanks
Barbara
jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020
Nov 25, 2010 at 10:55 AM
Hello,
Try this 1
Click on the below link and follow the instructions.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=4062&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=4034514
Select your operating system from the drop-down menu and download the BIOS file.
Update your BIOS first and then update the audio drivers.
Good Luck.