Dell has a very strange idea of a replacement

Solved/Closed
Catgamer Posts 3 Registration date Tuesday December 7, 2010 Status Member Last seen December 22, 2010 - Dec 15, 2010 at 03:37 PM
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 - Dec 15, 2010 at 04:32 PM
Hello,

ever since I bought my Dell laptop (for big money, too), I had constant problems with it. Its delivery was delayed over a month, and then, the laptop never wokred properly. It was either freezing, crashing, being ridiculously slow or errors would appear, and God knows what else. So finally, after months and months of contacting the technical support and being insulted by barely educated people from the third world, I got a system replacement. Strangely enough though, a new laptop came... and the old one was never taken back. It's now over am onth since when it was supposed to be taken back.

Can anyone tell me what should I do? I would gladly sell both laptops. Can I do that? Is it legally ok or can I get sued?

Thanks in advance : )

Catgamer

Related:

3 responses

Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,171
Dec 15, 2010 at 03:57 PM
Hello Cat,

Sorry to hear about your Dell. Many on this forum have keyboard problems.

I congratulate you for your grumpyness which finally paid off and many more should follow your example.

From experience, large manufacturers have a very slow administration system. Before your replacement laptop gravit all the echellons to the billing department it could take quite a while. I wouls definately wait 6 months before trying to do away with it. Before you sell it, I would also check with your local legislation to see if you have legal ownership.

Again congratulations, three cheers and God save the Queen!
Catgamer Posts 3 Registration date Tuesday December 7, 2010 Status Member Last seen December 22, 2010
Dec 15, 2010 at 04:10 PM
Ok, how do I check that? And thanks for being interested in my problem : )
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,171
Dec 15, 2010 at 04:32 PM
Dear Catgamer,

In my educated opinion, it may that Dell does not want to pay to get their lemon back which may just get melted down without trying to find out what went wrong on the assembly chain.

However, if Dell did not mention anywhere that they want it back and that they would make arrangements for it, they must follow local cunsumer laws in the countries they sell. Did Dell in any of your exchanges, e-mail or phone, mentioned that you would have to return it?

As you local police about laws regulating unclaimed items in your country (not city bylaw which would not apply in this case) and please don't give it to the police.

I have once purchased a HP Pc with a French and an English keyboard. The pc was replaced by HP. I now have four keyboard.

I hope that I was helpful.

P.S. I detect an Irish accent