Flash drive files replaced with strange symbols and numbers

pboo 2 Posts Thursday August 17, 2017Registration date December 15, 2017 Last seen - Aug 17, 2017 at 05:23 PM - Latest reply: pboo 2 Posts Thursday August 17, 2017Registration date December 15, 2017 Last seen
- Dec 15, 2017 at 07:32 PM
Hello,
I plugged my 128gb usb flash drive into my pc and a box popped up saying there was a problem with it and would I like windows to fix the problem. I clicked on 'fix problem' and after a few seconds another box popped up and said problem was fixed and flash drive was ready to use.
I clicked on the drive and opened it but all the movies and photos on the drive aren't showing and have been replaced by half a dozen files with strange symbols and numbers.
The drive is still showing 100gb is still being used so it seems the files are still there but only these strange symbols and numbers are showing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Phil

See more 

Your reply

5 replies

Ambucias 51727 Posts Monday February 1, 2010Registration dateModeratorStatus May 21, 2018 Last seen - Aug 18, 2017 at 05:08 AM
+1
Helpful
Hello,

Your flash drive and computer have been infected with a worm.
# Download USB Fix click here
  • Launch it, a shortcut will be created on your desktop.

• Choose "Clean" option.
  • A pop-up will follow
    Connect all your external data sources to your PC (Usb keys, sd cards external drives, etc...)
  • Once you're ready, click "OK".
  • While cleaning, you will lose access to your desktop, but this is normal.

The numbers of analyzed and infected elements are displayed.

# Copy/paste the report here.

Tutorial : http://www.en.usbfix.net/2014/02/usbfix-tutorial-clean-option/

Ambucias

Moderator / Virus Security Contributor
Was this answer helpful?  
Respond to Ambucias
themorgan 72 Posts Tuesday August 8, 2017Registration date September 8, 2017 Last seen - Aug 17, 2017 at 09:21 PM
Helpful
These files might have been corrupted and to be honest you won't be able to retrieve it.
pboo 2 Posts Thursday August 17, 2017Registration date December 15, 2017 Last seen - Dec 15, 2017 at 07:32 PM
I did retrieve them they were in a folder on the USB called 'unknown files' but the names of the files had been replaced by numbers.
The USB is still working ok.
Respond to themorgan
Helpful
Hi Phil,

Did you try the USB fix and did it help? I am having to same issues, but am skeptical of downloading programs that I have not heard of.
Ambucias 51727 Posts Monday February 1, 2010Registration dateModeratorStatus May 21, 2018 Last seen - Dec 15, 2017 at 04:15 PM
Hi Emilio

Don't use USB Fix and keep the virus.
Respond to Emilio