Can I Upgrade to Windows 7 with damaged Vista

Solved/Closed
oriellien - Dec 24, 2010 at 04:58 PM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Dec 25, 2010 at 09:27 PM
Hello,

I currently have a damaged version of Windows Vista on my desktop. I need the Vista startup disk to repair it, which I currently lack because it is at my college dorm in New Orleans. Do I need to repair Vista to use a Windows 7 upgrade? Or will it recognize that I have Vista installed even if it is damaged.

Some other information: The manner in which my Vista is damaged is that when it attempts to start up I get the message "Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause..."

Thank you for your assistance!

Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Dec 25, 2010 at 09:27 PM
The answer is probably. Windows 7 looks for a number of files before it will start the update. You may have a damaged sector on the hard disk. If Win 7 doesn't need to read this file then it will upgrade. Win 7 will not further damage the copy of Vista.

I say "go for it".

Good Luck