Lost CD

Closed
Eppachen - Jan 16, 2009 at 01:55 PM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Jan 16, 2009 at 02:11 PM
Hello,
I lost my linksys WRT54GS v7 CD. Do I need a CD to add another Laptop to network? When I look for open network, I found the my network connection with security enabled, it is asking me enter the password to connect. But I never set a password, How do I change the password? or can I download CD from somewhere?

Thanks for the help

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Jan 16, 2009 at 02:11 PM
No you don't need the CD connect another computer to your wireless network. But, you do need to know the password to connect to a secure network. You MUST have set one because you NEED it for a secure network.

Your will need to connect one laptop to the router via a LAN cable so that you can logon to the router and change the password. There is also a password needed for this logon. But, you probably never changed it from the factory default. Google "router default passwords" for this info. Also Google for the router default IP address that you will need to enter into a browser address line.

The first is the password that you need to enter in order to access the setup pages on the router. If you lost this password, then you need to reset the router using the reset button on the back of the router and start over.
Resetting the router will return all router settings to default, and allow you to use the manual to set it up all over again
The second "password" is the access key for wireless security. Assuming you can access the router setup, you can go to the wireless section, but the key is hidden, so you won't be able to see it. You can though, enter a new key and change the settings on the other machines on your system.
Otherwise - no, you can't recover the passwords - that's why you WILL write them down this time.

Then you need to set the new password in the wirless set-up for both laptops. Good Luck.