Extending my desktop

Closed
sam - Jan 17, 2009 at 12:54 AM
 fail - Mar 8, 2010 at 06:56 AM
Hello,

I have a problem with extending my desktop onto another monitor. The monitor is a tv that is connected via vga cable. It used to work perfectly, but now for some reason when i click "apply" in adjusting screen resolution, i see my extended desktop for an instant on the tv, but then my laptop goes completely black. It looks as if it is not even turned on. I can here sound in the background because i played a movie, then tried to extend the desktop and i could hear it playing but could not see anything on my laptop. The tv could not even detect a signal.

Another problem I'm having though not sure if its related is a message every time i log into windows, and when i right click the desktop

Here is a picture of it...
http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/5328/sdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfrh6.jpg

When i click "ok" the desktop refreshes, the icons disappear and then reappear.

Any help is welcome, If there are any serious errors i believe my laptop is still under warranty but that would be a pain.
Related:

5 responses

neomsi Posts 9 Registration date Saturday October 18, 2008 Status Member Last seen April 20, 2009 3
Jan 17, 2009 at 01:31 AM
hi,
Usually, youi will notice that the computer becomes noticeably slow before a runtime error appears.
A wide variety of errors cause these problems. These include:

* conflicts between the Terminate and Stay Resident Program and other
* currently running applications;
* software issues;
* memory problems;
* and harmful applications such as computer viruses.

check if you are having ant of these problem.
go to control panel > mobility centre > then click connect disply, make sure your tv is on first then your off
hope this helps anyone
Gary Powers Posts 1 Registration date Thursday January 7, 2010 Status Member Last seen January 8, 2010
Jan 8, 2010 at 06:53 AM
I have the exact same problem
Except with no errors occur
I am using a HP laptop with Windows 7
The other monitor is a Fujitsu Siemens 22" Monitor
I wonder if altering the Windows Features makes any difference because that's all I have changed since I last used it when it was working;
Hey Gary!
I have the exact same problem! I have an HP laptop and trying to connect it to a TV with an S-video -cable.
One week ago I had XP and was happily watching movies from my laptop on my TV. Now I installed windows 7 and when trying to do exactly the same steps (ATI control center, extend desktop, etc...) nothing happens! Laptop just blinks once and that's it! I have the newest drivers and everything. No viruses and no running programs!
HELP anyone???

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
My ultimate has exactly the same problem. When I had XP.. S-vidoe cable worked perfectly. - not anymore. There seems to be a second monitor while the mouse goes beyond this monitor.. (out of this monitor) But my TV can't recognize an signal to external monitor. It says No Signal. WHYYYYYYYY