Notes on Windows XP Home Automatic Log on

Closed
Linnaeus Posts 1 Registration date Friday January 16, 2009 Status Member Last seen January 17, 2009 - Jan 17, 2009 at 12:58 PM
livebox12 Posts 10 Registration date Saturday October 18, 2008 Status Member Last seen May 14, 2009 - Jan 18, 2009 at 12:59 AM
Hello,

I recently installed software that required Net Framework installation. Once installed, Windows XP no longer automatically logged on. There is a procedure that when followed, allows auto log on, but users such as I need some clarification when using this procedure. Since I logged on automatically before, I was not using a password. The procedure instructs the user to run "CONTROL USERPASSWORDS2", to uncheck "users must enter a user name and password...". Once this is unchecked and "apply" is selected, a second screen appears to allow the user to be chosen and the password entered. On this screen, "Administrator" appears as default with the password option below. Since I was not using a password to sign on, I left it blank. That was a mistake! - When I rebooted, I received message "Unable to log you on because of an account restriction." with no other option available. I was able to boot up in safe mode, do a system restore to allow access again. I then created a password for the user account for which I wanted to auto log on, repeat the procedure above for auto log on, selecting that account, and then entering the newly created password.

I hope that advanced users will feel free to add to what I've written here. Hopefully this will prevent problems for other users.
Related:

1 response

livebox12 Posts 10 Registration date Saturday October 18, 2008 Status Member Last seen May 14, 2009 6
Jan 18, 2009 at 12:59 AM
hi,
this was the thing to do.
since it seems that it is important to create a password.
make sure you don't forget about the password.