How to transfer data between two Dell laptop

Closed
Ricky - Apr 30, 2011 at 04:25 PM
 Anonymous User - May 1, 2011 at 07:40 AM
Hello,

I am facing problem in transfering data between my DELL laptop and another Dell laptop using LAN connection......I have set the IP adress in Local area connection of both the laptop. I set it as PC 1- 192.180.0.1
PC-2-192.180.0.2
then I changed the folder properties to share every one,which is to be transfered..
after that I click on NETWORK option of both the laptops.....in both the laptop each showing the alternate pc icon.When I clicked on the pc icon on my lapy a message showed for user name and password......after thet I couldn't be able to share the file.Plz help me what should I do next to transfer the file from other laptop to my laptop.

1 response

Anonymous User
May 1, 2011 at 07:40 AM
HI,

How to set up a network between two computers?

1. Connect the crossover Ethernet cable to the LAN (RJ45) ports of both the PCs.

PC - 1:

- Go to My Computer > Properties > Computer Name.
- Change the Computer Name to A and Workgroup name to ABC and click OK to save changes.
- Go to Control Panel > Network Connections.
- Right click on your LAN connection and select Properties.
- Select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) > Properties.
- Enter these values:
IP Address - 192.168.0.1
Subnet Mask - 255.255.255.0
- Leave the other fields blank and click OK to save changes.

PC - 2:

- Go to My Computer > Properties > Computer Name.
- Change the Computer Name to B and Workgroup name to ABC and click OK to save changes.
- Go to Control Panel > Network Connections.
- Right click on your LAN connection and select Properties.
- Select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) > Properties.
- Enter these values:
IP Address - 192.168.0.2
Subnet Mask - 255.255.255.0
- Leave the other fields blank and click OK to save changes.
- - -
After the connections and settings have been saved, both the PCs should be connected by LAN. You may need to restart both the PCs.

You can check if the connection is working by pinging one PC from the other.

For PC-1, Start > Run > CMD > ping 192.168.0.2
For PC-2, Start > Run > CMD > ping 192.168.0.1

You can view the PCs in My Network Places. You can now use this LAN connection to play multiplayer games or share files. You can also map a drive on another PC to a local drive by using My Computer > Tools > Map Network Drive > Select Drive Letter and network path of the shared folder on the other PC