Acer Aspire one won't turn off

Closed
codisimus Posts 1 Registration date Wednesday May 11, 2011 Status Member Last seen May 11, 2011 - May 11, 2011 at 08:35 PM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - May 11, 2011 at 08:39 PM
Hi, I am working on a net-book for a friend and am stumped. Here is what is happening...

When I press the power button the power light comes on and the CPU an spins for 5 seconds. Nothing shows up on the screen, not even a back-light. The weird thing is once it is on it will only turn off if I pull the battery and power cord out. I have held the power button for at least 1 minute and it doesn't do anything. I tried flashing the bios as explained on this forum and in many YouTube videos but it does not turn on when holding the power button (and Fn + Esc), it will only turn on when I release the power button.

Some additional information, before this happened it was turning off after about 1-5 minutes of booting up. I thought this could be due to a bad CPU fan since it only stays on for 5 seconds. Now my thoughts are that the CPU may be fried? Not sure how a computer acts with a bad CPU.

I appreciate any help with this.

One more thing, I was going to open it up to look at the CPU/fan but laptops are a pain to take apart.

Thanks in advance,
-Cody
Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
May 11, 2011 at 08:39 PM
Time to get a new netbook. This sounds like a motherboard or chip failure in power circuit.

Sorry for the bad news.